1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 Raw file conversion programs?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by snegron, Jul 4, 2013.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Other than Silkypix, is there another program I can use to read and convert RAW files from my G5?

I'm currently running XP and have an older version of Photoshop (CS2). Lightroom 4 or 5 are out of the question as they are not compatible with XP. I don't want to upgrade to Windows 7 at this time.

Will DxO Optics Pro 8 open G5 RAW files?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Might try DNG Converter (free) and Lightroom 3.6. DNG Converter should also let you use Photoshop CS2.

3. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Thanks! I wonder though if I would have to go through a three step process with DNG Converter (RAW to DNG, DNG to TIFF, TIFF to JPEG)?

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No need to go to TIFFs. Once you convert to DNG, you can use the files with LR/PS and output in any format you want (JPEG, TIFF, etc.). The DNG conversion works on folders, so it's pretty painless.

5. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Thanks again. I'm having trouble downloading DNG from Adobe. :frown: Looks like instead of a Zip file it's some sort of unreadable "Part" file.

6. lov_mu43

lov_mu43 New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Anthony
  7. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida

Thanks!

I figured out what my problem was: my older version of ACR! I currently have ACR 3.0 running on CS2. The version of DNG Converter I downloaded was the 8.1 version. When it converts RAW files to DNG, it saves them as newer DNG files; files not recognized by my older ACR 3.0!

So, I went to "Change Preferences" in DNG and changed compatibility to Adobe Camera RAW 2.4 or older. Now I am able to convert my G5 RAW files to DNG, then open them up in Photoshop (Adobe Camera RAW)! I can also save the files I work on as JPEGS as well!

Thanks everyone! :smile:

p.s. In a moment of panic I purchased ACDSee Pro 6 and ACDSee Photo Editor 6. I am able to open G5 files with these programs as well. It is a little slower than CS2 and somewhat unfamiliar to me (have been using CS2 for several years now), but it does let me work with G5 RAW files! :smile:

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You may want to update your ACR to version 3.7 as well. That's the latest supported with CS2. It doesn't include G5 support, but it does fix some bugs.