G5 question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by beehole1, Sep 7, 2012.

1. beehole1

beehole1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 7, 2011
    Been using a G 10 but now changed to G5.The remote shutter release cable I have,Hama,worked fine on the G10 but does not seem to work on the G5.
    Do i need a new cable or does the remote facility need activating somewhere on the menu.

Thanks

2. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Have you made sure it is pushed in fully. I've just bought a remote release that is a DMW-RS1 equivalent and that needed an extra push to make sure the pins were in.

3. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
  4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    If by G10 you mean the Canon Powershot G10, then yes, you need a new cable release. While the Panasonic cable release plugs are 2.5mm, like Canon's, they have four-pole connectors, not three (i.e., three rings around the tip of the plug to give four different connections--the Canon cable releases use stereo connectors (two rings => 3 connections), iirc). The Canon dRebel/G cable releases won't work, even though they seem to fit. You may be able to get it to fire by shifting the plug back and forth, but you're not going to get half-press and fire behavior without the right connector.

Looks like it's got the right connector.

5. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae

If it works with the Lumix G1 and GH1, We can only assume it works with the other G and GH series cameras. I tried to do some of my own research and found that theres a lot of after market shutter releases for Panasonic cameras that dont list the newer models as compatible but still work anyways. I purchased an off-brand shutter release from Amazon a couple months back for $7 that I wanted to use for my GX1 and found that it also worked with my G5. I took a chance though because it didnt have the GX1 or G5 as listed compatible cameras but it did have the G1,G3,GH1, and GH2 as compatible. I would assume the one you linked would work with the G5 but the seller might have just not updated the list of compatible models. Worse comes to worst.. the seller offers a 14 day money back refund :wink:

6. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Thanks, I was reasonably sure it would work...I guess for a few dollars it won't break the bank to try it.

7. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    I had an aftermarket cable release that worked fine for two G1 bodies, but would not work for the G5. I had to buy a Panasonic brand cable release and it worked fine with the G5. I had assumed the requirements were the same for all G bodies, but I was wrong.

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    No the G10 was a little known model released by Panasonic along with the G2. It was pretty much a G1 in new skin with no articulating screen.

Anyways, I don't bother with cable releases anymore. Get yourself a nice wireless remote.

9. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    My third party (Chinese) remote cable that I used to plug into my G1 is working on my G5.
    But I've noticed that in G5 it needs an extra punch for the contacts to work.
    The same happens with a remote trigger / shutter that I've purshased a few weeks ago.
    I need to push it firmely.

10. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    +1!