1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G5 Pop Up Flash not Working

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by snegron, May 13, 2013.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I'm not sure what menu button I touched by mistake, but my pop up flash has been disabled. It is even greyed out on the menu screen not letting me access it.

I gave up, restored the camera to factory settings and was able to get the pop up flash to work again. The only changes I made originally were to to the sound/beep function; I placed it in total silent mode. I also switched the function of "use camera without lens" option to "on". However, even when I switched those two items back I was still not able to access the flash in the menu. I even tried accessing the flash menu in different setting (A,P,S,M and even iA) but no flash. It was only when I reset the camera to factory settings that I was able to get the flash to work again.

I read through the PDF manual but it was of no help.

I need help on this. I hope my camera isn't defective as I really like it and would hate to have to return it! :frown:

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Most likely you accidently disabled it from the 4 way pad. It's easy to do with the G5 and a common complaint. One blogger actually made a homemade "guard" for his G5 fastened on with gaffer's tape to prevent this happening.

Usually happens when the heel of your thumb hits the right button on the pad and accidently end up changing the flash mode. That flash can be disabled from there, and should have been able to be turned back on from there as well. Not sure why you couldn't get it back on though.

3. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I tried re-creating what you are referring to, but all that pops up on screen when I touch the 4 way pad is the Direct Focus Area display.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hmmm odd..you don't have the electronic shutter setting activated do you?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

5. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Then in the menus (and sorry don't remember where) you have set the pad up to only control focus area. I don't do that simply because the touch screen does that better than the pad ever could. But that means that my explanation of how you disabled it simply doesn't apply for sure.

With that configuration it's a good idea to make sure all you alternate pad functions are in your quick menu which is the other place this could occur I guess. It's interesting that some functions you can access by quick menu are not necessarily in the main menu system the same way or at all.

6. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Electronic Shutter Mode

"I placed it in total silent mode."
    The electronic shutter disables the flash.

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! I didn't even notice that. Good catch!

8. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida

Nope. I just checked it. It's set to "off". Could there be another function that disables the flash?

9. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I'm considering disabling the touch screen until I get to know this camera a bit better. :frown:

10. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I think that what I disabled was the "beep" function. Could be I might have selected the "off" on the electronic shutter as well; I won't know for sure as I reset the camera to factory specs.

Thanks for the tip though!

11. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Does anyone know if there is a Magic Lantern or similar book on the G5? The PDF wasn't very detailed about all the functions of the G5. There are way more functions on this camera than I had anticipated!

12. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I think what he's saying is that prior to reset, you DID have it in electronic shutter? When you fired off a shot, could you hear the shutter? If not, then likely you were.

The touchscreen control of AF point with that flip out touchscreen is a major point for me. I have it flipped out when I use the viewfinder and drag the focus point around with my left hand. I love shooting single point AF like that -- so quick to get to your subject.

13. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Learning curve for the G5 is much more difficult than I expected. :frown:

I was hoping for an easier, more intuitive workflow, but it seems that I will have to spend the next several days (weeks?) trying to understand how to use the G5.

I am used to using Nikon DSLRs and Panasonic point and shoots. The menu system on the G5 is unlike anything I have ever dealt with before. I would love to get my hands on an actual paper guide/book for the G5.

There are symbols popping up on screen that I have no clue what they mean. Unlike many other camera instruction books I have read, the G5's does not have a reference page with a diagram of all the symbols that can be on the display. If Panasonic would have printed a diagram like that and referenced each symbol with a brief description and page where I can read up on this item, I would have been happy.

Figuring my way around the G5 is starting to get frustrating.

14. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Didn't you get the cd with the camera that has the manual? It is much more detailed than the booklet.

15. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Yep, I got the CD. While the CD expands a bit on what the paper owner's manual provides, there really isn't as much detail as I need. The tip I was given here regarding how the flash is disabled if you set the shutter in electronic mode was not mentioned anywhere in the owners manual or the CD. Same with some of the symbols popping up on my LCD. :frown:

Today I got my Nikon to m4/3 lens mount adapter. I tried on a Nikon 50mm 1.8 manual focus lens on and it fits quite well. However, I am dreading the idea of actually using it because I will no doubt miss something or other on the complicated G5 menu which will make my pictures look hideous.

I purchased the G5 in anticipation of a road trip coming up in June. I hope I will have learned how to use it by then or I will have to lug my old D200 with heavy lenses with me instead.

16. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I haven't found it any MORE complex than my Olympus cameras -- but it's like it was a foreign language when I first ventured in those menus.

Now, since I shoot RAW, it's much less complicated in some respects. When I want to shoot JPG, I simply turn on the excellent iA mode and I'm amazed at how good the automation is.

The main thing is to get your main camera "setups" in the C1, C2-1, C2-2, and C2-3 menus. I really only have two setups I use for most stuff and C1 is my HDR bracketing mode.

Really, the G5 allows you to put whatever you like in the Q menu. That's your opportunity to create a custom structure that gets you right to what you use the most if you're not into whole camera setups like I am.

17. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
  18. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
  19. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Thanks for the link! I actually feel relieved in an odd way after having read this article knowing that the G5 truly is a very complex camera with "28,480,320 possible combinations for Function Buttons alone", as the author mentions; it wasn't just my imagination! :biggrin:

Thanks!