G5 plus 2 kit zooms a good deal?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rmcnelly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    A friend had considered down sizing from her Canon Rebel, and found someone selling the Panasonic G5 with the 14-42, 45-150 lenses, an aftermarket flash and camera bag for $300.

Sounds like a good deal but I have no experience with these and am asking for advice for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I bought the G5 with those two lenses back in 2013 for $400 new. I still use the camera and haven't yet upgraded, though have thought about it quite a bit.

First, to answer your question: is this a good deal? I wouldn't call it a killer deal unless the flash and bag are quite nice. That said, it isn't a really bad deal either. Just be aware that it is not a camera with the latest and greatest in m4/3 -- it's an older 16mp sensor, has no IBIS, no wifi connections, and the jpegs are not as good as Olympus and recent Panasonic cameras.

The 14-42 zoom, if it's the older one that the camera was sold with (you can tell, because the older one uses 52mm filter thread vs 46mm for the newer 14-42) is kind of a loser. The images are sharp enough, but there are two main flaws: the lens is oversized and the play on the zoom ring is awkward. I sold the lens. The 45-150mm is a good lens for the price.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Assuming it is the old 14-42, it's worth about $70-80 on ebay. The 45-150 can go for $130-150. So let's call it $200 value worst case for the two lenses. That means you are getting a G5 for $100, which is a pretty decent deal. You'd probably pay close to $375-400 if each item was bought individually on ebay.

Now depending on the finances of your friend, I might steer her towards something just a little bit newer. For not a lot more you could get into something like a E-M10 or GX7, etc, that is going to get you the latest 16MP sensors and better high ISO and DR.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I would say that's a good deal. The 14-42 is worth at least $80, the 45-150 is worth at least $100, and that leaves $100 for the G5, flash, and camera bag. The latter two probably cost at least $20 each, so you're spending $80 for a G5.

So while the G5 isn't state of the art, it has a lot of the UI goodness of future Panasonic cameras, an EVF, touchpad AF, a 16MP sensor with decent ISO performance. It's also one of the most compact "G" bodies, a nice shrink from a Rebel while maintaining good ergonomics. The main compromise that keeps from using my GX1 more is that the dynamic range isn't great. You need to be very careful about metering highlights since the recovery isn't great, or else work high-contrast into your processing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, that's a good deal. Both lenses are very good too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    Thanks folks, I'll let her know!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'm realizing there's also a chance that the 14-42 included may be the 14-42 X power-zoom lens, since Panasonic was pushing that pretty hard at the time of the GF3 / GX1 / G5. If that's the case, that's a $150+ lens by itself, so that improves the value proposition even further. That lens had some harsh criticism for its optics, but I think it was later found to mostly be an issue associated with shutter shock. The G5 was also one of the first M4/3 models to introduce a silent shutter, however, so shutter shock is a non-issue. In my limited experience with it, the 14-42 X PZ has very excellent OIS to recommend it, as well.

Depends on whether it was bought as a two-lens kit, or as a single-lens kit and the owner added the 45-150 after.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    My friend reports the owner bought it for his wife, then bought the 45-150 later. She never used it and didn't want an interchangeable lens camera.

9. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    The flash is a Promaster, she doesn't know the model.

10. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    You can get an ePM2 in the forum here for $110± and KEH has the 14-42rII for $70ish. That's the EM5 sensor/pipeline/jpeg engine in a slightly smaller package with some bonus features left out. That's newer imaging tech - but you must assemble the remainder of the kit..

• Like Like x 2