G5 owner; got E-PL3 at a bargain

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Desert_B, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Greetings,

About six months ago, bought a G5 because my Rebel XSi was a bit bulky and getting long in the tooth. So far, m4/3 photography has been a lot of fun, and I wanted to try a camera body that's a bit smaller than the G5, so a few days ago I pulled the trigger on this deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3952399&SID=ck4j4ubkukun

I know the E-PL3 is a few years old, and also, I'm completely new to Olympus. I'm just wondering -- who shoots with the E-PL3? What's it like?

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I use an E-PL3 as a second body to my E-P3 and because of the tilt screen. It's a great camera, just be sure to activate the SCP.

3. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Oh, I feel like a real newbie. What's SCP?

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Handy Oly feature which lets you get to most controls in a single screen.

Guide for activation on E-PM2, should be similar on E-PL3

[video=youtube;A_DI8uT6daA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_DI8uT6daA[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Forgot to mention that I'm also excited for my brother. His family's DSLR got stolen, and they've been without a family camera for a while now. When I told him he could get a mirrorless for $200, he was very interested and ultimately jumped on the same deal I did. He and his wife are not 'photographers' as such, but they have enough experience with cameras to know that a typical point&shoot won't give them the IQ they're looking for.

Of course, having never used an Oly, I'm a bit nervous as well -- as in, what if I steered him in a bad direction??? However, I keep coming back to the idea that for $200, you can't expect all of the features and up-to-date-ness of a $600+ camera. I really hope that he and I are both happy with the E-PL3.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You should practice shooting from waist level with the flipout Lcd in a horizontal position. This a a far more stable shooting position that the arms out position especially if you rest the Lcd against your body.. If you use a neck strap let the strap go taut and it also stabilizes the camera.

• Like Like x 1