G5 owner; got E-PL3 at a bargain

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Desert_B, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Greetings,

About six months ago, bought a G5 because my Rebel XSi was a bit bulky and getting long in the tooth. So far, m4/3 photography has been a lot of fun, and I wanted to try a camera body that's a bit smaller than the G5, so a few days ago I pulled the trigger on this deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3952399&SID=ck4j4ubkukun

I know the E-PL3 is a few years old, and also, I'm completely new to Olympus. I'm just wondering -- who shoots with the E-PL3? What's it like?

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I use an E-PL3 as a second body to my E-P3 and because of the tilt screen. It's a great camera, just be sure to activate the SCP.

3. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Oh, I feel like a real newbie. What's SCP?

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Handy Oly feature which lets you get to most controls in a single screen.

Guide for activation on E-PM2, should be similar on E-PL3

[video=youtube;A_DI8uT6daA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_DI8uT6daA[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Forgot to mention that I'm also excited for my brother. His family's DSLR got stolen, and they've been without a family camera for a while now. When I told him he could get a mirrorless for $200, he was very interested and ultimately jumped on the same deal I did. He and his wife are not 'photographers' as such, but they have enough experience with cameras to know that a typical point&shoot won't give them the IQ they're looking for.

Of course, having never used an Oly, I'm a bit nervous as well -- as in, what if I steered him in a bad direction??? However, I keep coming back to the idea that for $200, you can't expect all of the features and up-to-date-ness of a $600+ camera. I really hope that he and I are both happy with the E-PL3.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You should practice shooting from waist level with the flipout Lcd in a horizontal position. This a a far more stable shooting position that the arms out position especially if you rest the Lcd against your body.. If you use a neck strap let the strap go taut and it also stabilizes the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.