1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 or NEX5n

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Vas182, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Vas182

Vas182 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2013
    I am in the market for a mirrorless camera. I has come down to a g5 or a NEX 5n. Which would you think would be better for me? I shoot stills most of the time. Thanks!

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Neither!
    Get the Samsung NX300 :wink:

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    What is more important to you?

One of the best sensors in the business (the sony)

Or (when compared to the sony) superior lens selection, better ergonomics and a good viewfinder. The sensor is excellent, the sony is just a bit better, atleast according to dxo. But the nex5 handling is not great, and it has no viewfinder?

IMHO the samsungs are pretty sleek looking but they are like most samsungproducts, looking sleek, but little substance...

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    But they do have good glass that's out. :smile:

5. I found that the NEX 5N felt a bit unrefined, and the camera was way too short for me to be able to grip it effectively. I had one and sold it late last year, got a Samsung NX200 a month later and immediately liked it more than the Sony. I can't agree that Samsung products have style but no substance.

Anyway, your question was not about Samsung but was between the 5N and the G5, and out of those two I'd take the Panasonic.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I had the 5n and sold it. I would buy the G5.

7. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Sorry, thats my built-in response to samsung products. Spent years being told to sell the products, and have genuinly tried to like them, but I can't help feeling they are the emperors new clothes so to speak. But that is for another thread:)

I do agree on the grip of the sony though, it's just not ergonomical...

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahaahahaah .... Please start a samsung NX image thread :wink:

9. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    seriously, I'd like to see some samsung NX pictures here and if no one's starting an NX thread then I am:smile:, the DXOmark says it's pretty good so let's see how it performs in real world, and that leaves only one real question though, does anybody here has NX system cameras?????

10. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada