1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 or GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by woof, Sep 21, 2012.

1. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Strongly considering going to Lumix full boat.

Straddling Oly/Lumix at the moment. I have an LX-5 and an FZ150 which are sort of my "going light stills/video" and my "wife needs to be able to easily take great stills and kid videos" cameras.

I have been shooting Oly as well, but have recently pared down to an EP3 and a couple of lenses.

Issue is that generally speaking I cannot afford a GH3. So it really comes down to a G5 or a GH2.

I have all the video capability I really need in the LX-5 and FZ150. That is to say a very small compact and the larger more capable superzoom really do everything I need. Having more capability may be nice in a pinch, but stills and IQ are of most import to me... At this point it I looking like the GH2 is the bargain... is it worth a look or is the G5 a better stills camera?

I shoot mostly landscape and architecture. I am not above using HDR where it makes sense, and when that happens, I need it to perform well. I will tend to be on a tripod at those times, but not always. I will also ask it to do some candid and portrait work, and will accept its limitations but still push it to do some action as well.

Thanks in advance.

woof

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    If video is not a concern then I think it basically comes down to:
    1) Price
    2) Electronic silent shutter and built-in HDR mode (g5) vs Multi-aspect sensor (gh2)

Otherwise, IQ is essentially the same. I personally like the size and handling of the G5 a bit better. More substantial grip imo.

3. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Thank you!

Built-in HDR mode is not of interest, despite using HDR. this is a bit like the jpg vs RAW argument that you can accept what the camera will do for you or you can do for yourself... I tend to be a do for myself type.

The price is nice, but is not really a determinant in this case. Difference will be up to 200.00, so that might be 14-45mm. Might be nice.

Electronic shutter? Kind of limited. i would tend to use this in paces where I'd by definition need to be at the higher end of the ISO scale so I am not certain about this.

Multi-aspect actually does have value to me. It just isn't huge.

Anyone else? If IQ really is the same, what about color? High ISO noise? What? I'd love some more input.

Thanks phrenic... I do not mean to imply that I had answers before you posted... these answers are the direct result of thinking through what you've said, and i must thank you for taking the time to help.

woof

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Happy to help.

Note that the sensor is the same as the GH2 with some minor tweaks. In return for the multi-aspect ratio they added the electronic shutter option. Maybe slightly different jpeg engine, but essetially the same. If you shoot raw, it's a wash. Note electronic shutter only goes to iso 1600.

I think you should just pick the cheaper option if none of these are make or break options. Save the money and buy a lens instead.

5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    That is what I am coming to... frankly, given the budget it leaves almost enough for a 7-14mm... :smile:

woof

6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I'm in the same boat, but I'll wait a little just to see how the prices of the GH2 is going to be after the GH3 reach the users.