G5 or GH2 for $499?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Biro, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    As has been reported on this site already, Amazon.com is offering the Panasonic G5 (with and without kit lens) for $499. Meanwhile, B&H is offering the GH2 body-only for the same $499. I've been considering replacing my G3 with one or the other mainly for better handling with larger lenses like the Lumix 100-300. For the small lenses I have the GX1 and the E-PM1. Any advice from those who've worked extensively with the G5 and GH2? I've had the G1 and G2 in the past. Or should I wait until the cameras hit $299 like the G3? And why do I think the GH2 won't ever drop that low?
  2. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm right there with you on the G5 and GX1. The GH2 doesn't really appeal to me, I guess it's the slightly larger size.

Not sure about waiting for the G5 to hit $300... I'd like to hold-on for that, but I also need to use my cameras now. I did buy a $300 G3 kit, but that deal didn't last long, B&H now lists the G3 as "discontinued".
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The G5 is a bit better for photos, I think. The GH2 is a LOT better for video.