1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G5 or G6? from G1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MarkB1, Jun 28, 2015.

1. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Hi guys. I could do with some expert advice. I've been using the G1 for a few years and looking around here in Oz the G5 and G6 are going reasonably cheap second hand, a few anyway and only lightly used, and I was wondering what those in the know think. I looked at some second hand GH models but I get the impression they are worn out on video, which I don't need anyway, and those that aren't keep their price for the video. I would be using it almost exclusively for macro.

Are the later G5 and G6 really much different to the old G1, or would I just be looking for something different sooner than later?

Which one would you get, if either, and what differences could I expect to see?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    If you can get a good buy on the G6 I would take that one over the G5. However, now with the newer Panasonic G7 out on the market, I would take a serious look at it too.
    I have the G6 and enjoy it a lot. Images taken with it look very nice. The newer G7 sounds like a great upgrade to the G6, especially for its speed.
    GR

3. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks. I might have a G6 in the pipe. I will look at the G7 but that's probably all I'll do until it becomes available S/H.

The reviews of the G6 have it slightly upgraded on the G5, as far as it matters to me. And it's got to be an upgrade from the G1 so ...

4. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Either model would be a significant upgrade over a G1 in terms of features and operational speed. You'll gain video recording, touchscreen, electronic shutter etc. The image quality from the 16mp sensor is better than the old 12mp too, but I was never unhappy with the output from my 12mp G2 and wasn't blown away by the difference. I found the G2 to be a bit sluggish on occasion and this is where the G5 is much better. The G6 offers a bit more than the G5, but will obviously cost more. The G6 has wifi (for file transfer and remote operation), time lapse, a slighter better EVF (though both models still tear when panning in lower light), it's jpegs are reported to be slightly better, though RAW output is near identical. The G6 has a slightly better auto-focus system, an extra user definable function button and I think there's a slight increase in burst mode FPS.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  5. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks PB. It's better IQ I am after and it would seem the 6 and 5 are on a par in that regard - got into some reviews after posting this last night. Faster AF and the higher resolution LCD of the G6 are more important to me for (my) macro, but probably not critical.

6. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    My G5 is still working well after taking a spill on an asphalt parking lot last year. Solid little camera!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Of course: the new G7 is the best, especially in low light. But The G5 is a very very good camera if it comes to value for money!

8. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    The G6 are being heavily discounted now that the G7 is out I have seen it in the UK for under £250 which is a bit of a bargain and I am sure you will find it for less in the USA given that we are often quite a bit more expensive over this side of the big pond.

Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I used my G1 quite a lot and never really got on with the G3, found G5 & 6 big and ugly,
    so if you really need a "G" I'd wait for the inevitable price-dive on the new G7 which is an altogether more handsome piece of kit with a much better sensor.

10. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Or go with the GM5 or GM1

11. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks guys. I already got the G6. S/H, practically unused for $200. I have only to work out the settings now.

12. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

Your avatar photo has an insect. Focus peaking has been a huge win on our G6s for flower/insect closeups. Try it out. In manual focus, you can touch the LCD to indicate where you want a magnified view. You can drag that magnified area on the LCD too. Very nice when you can't conveniently look through the EVF.

13. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    The focus peaking I have seen, have to check it further. Trouble with an active LCD is it gets touched inadvertently.

14. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

I keep the LCD folded screen inward when I'm not using it. No scratches, no accidental nose taps and no battery use. I swing it out when I want to use it. I adjust the angle for best visibility in sunlight.

15. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    I use it all the time, never the EVF. I found an active LCD an issue on another camera recently, we'll see.

• Like Like x 1