1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 Optimal JPEG Settings?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by snegron, Jun 14, 2013.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I have been playing around with my G5 for the past couple of weeks and it seems that my pictures are getting worse every day. :frown:

I want to shoot JPEG as I don't want to do any post processing work for the time being, at least for my upcoming vacation shots. The issues I am having are soft images, out of focus, contrast too high, NR seems to be in every shot I take no matter how hard I try to get rid of it.

AF- I am using AFS mode, one area (I drag the focus point to where I want on the rear LCD screen). I tried using face detection and also 23 area focal points, but my pics seem to be back focusing (focus on the background instead of the subject in the foreground I select). I tried different lenses, same issue with all of them. I will get maybe one out of 10 pics in focus.

Contrast- I adjusted contrast set back to factory settings after experimenting. My pics are exposed for the brightest area, but black out the main subject (usually a person). It's as if the multi-pattern metering disregards anything less than 1/3 of the picture size. Most of my pics look either too dark or too light; most if not all show the main subject extremely dark whether it's an indoor or outdoor shot.

NR- This is really starting to annoy me. My images look smeared; the hair on my subjects (no matter how close I shoot them) look smeared. I can't see the individual hairs. I know this camera is capable of capturing the hair detail as I was able to get two sharp/non-smeared images when I first purchased it.

I read and re-read the instruction manual (seems like an instruction manual is needed to decipher the actual instruction manual), but no luck so far. I tried different lenses including manual focus Nikkor lenses, but the smeared, non-detailed shots are the same.

I have tried shooting in A, P, S and even iA mode but the results are all the same. There has to be a shortcut to getting postcard-type pics that are sharp and well exposed without having to spend the next three years of my life trying to figure out this camera. I know there is always a learning curve for any camera you get, but this is ridiculous.

I was really hoping to use the G5 for my upcoming vacation, but unfortunately I think it will have to stay home and I will have to take my old D200 with me instead. Even my old LX3 shots look sharper and better exposed straight out of the camera when compared to my G5!

What settings work for you?

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I have a G5 and now shoot RAW and jpg and I find the jpg's are fine.

I have my jpg settings as follows....

Natural
    Contrast +1
    Sharpness +1
    Saturation +1
    NR -2

Firstly the NR issue.... -2 means NO noise reduction, any thing other than -2 and NR is applied and as you have noticed softens the shots, I know logically 0 seems to mean no NR but you can't have negative noise reduction so -1 and -2 are just less and then no NR. They should have scaled it 0-5 to be clearer.

I usually use multi metering to set the exposure and if I think the exposure might be dodgy take multiple exposure shots, I have a good feel now and can usually judge by the scene if it needs to be under or over exposed and guess by how much. I have set the lever to adjust the exposure.

I use the 23 area focus setting usually and let the camera pick the focus point for shots where focus isn't critical, if I want it to pick a certain area then I keep it in 23 area mode but have the FN2 button assigned to bring up the focus area (which then displays about 6 squares) then use the pad to move it to the part of the screen or EVF I want it to focus on, for more exact focus I use the one area mode and move the focus point to where I want to focus. I've had no issues with focus at all, it's usually spot on.

I shoot in A mode as my preferred shooting mode but any mode should work ok.

Hope that helps but please ask if you want any more assistance.

Paul

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Are you watching the shutter speeds? Sometimes I think something is soft, but then I realize shutter speed was too slow.
    You didnt mention what lenses you tried. I find 20mm/1.7 much sharper than kit zoom for example.

LX3 was nothing to sneeze at. I also look at photos I took in the past with LX3 and am amazed at the sharpness. It must be that lens.

I dial down sharpness and NR for Jpeg, but then I apply it in Lightroom. I understand it's better that way with fewer artifacts.

4. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Thanks Paul! When adjusting settings, do these changes apply in P, A and S or are they limited to Custom 1/Custom 2 only?

5. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I'm currently using the following lenses:

- 14-42mm 3.5/5.6
    - 45-150mm 4.0/5.6
    - Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS
    - Nikon 24mm 2.8 AIS
    - Nikon 35mm 2.0 AIS
    - Nikon 105mm 2.5 AIS
    - Nikon 180mm 2.8 AF-D

Shutter speeds are pretty high as most of the pics have been shot outdoors in bright daylight.

6. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    In Menu...REC....Photo style the settings you set there will apply to all Modes, well certainly P, A, S and M, I think they apply in custom too but I don't use custom so not certain.

Paul

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Well, I don't know about the Nikons, but the kit zooms you have are not really know to be very sharp.
    In daylight, with high shutter speeds and low ISO the results should still be good though. Have you tried the electronic shutter mode?

8. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I tried the electronic mode but ended up switching back because the pop up flash won't work while in that mode.

Some shots were sharp with the kit lens, but the majority showed extensive NR even in bright daylight. I'm wondering what the optimal f/stop would be for those kit lenses in order to get sharp pics?

9. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have Contrast +0, Sharpness +0, Color -1, NR -2 and find JPEGs look just fine at high ISO.

Also, played around with iResolution and iDynamic.

iResolution is on LOW (weirdly, I found if I turn off the iResolution, iDynamic turns off as well which is ANNOYING...software bug?).

You may want to crank up iResolution and see if that helps your JPEGs.

Also, don't shoot your kit lens wide open if you want sharp. Esp at 42mm...

It took me probably 1000 shots to start feeling comfortable with my G5. It caused me to buy Lightroom 4, Huelight profiles, and shoot RAW. But, I'm happy enough with JPEGs, until I go back to the E-PM2 which is just so punchy and NICE.

All in all, if I have a choice, I usually pick up the G5 due to the grip and feel of the controls.

Good luck!

10. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Does anyone know what "Shading Comp" is for?

11. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Before you make more changes, I would suggest resetting everything to the factory defaults and try it. It's easy to mess up menu settings. Then work from there...in P mode for starters.

12. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    AFAIK it's for compensating vignette.