1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G5 on it's way!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Alan_N, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    Having been thinking about it for many months I finally gave in to temptation and got my self a G5 should be here tomorrow (so just need a nice weekend so I can go and give it a good try out! :smile: )

I still really like my GF1 so don't think I will sell it, although I might see about converting it into an infer-red camera. The G5 is second hand only a few months old and hardly taken any photos and looks like new. My reslove not to buy any more equipent this year lasted nearly two months oh well try again next year :happy-084:

• Like Like x 1
  2. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Nice:thumbup:

Hope you love it. I just recently got one as well and havent put it down since.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    You will be amazed by the difference between the G5 and the GF1.
    I own a G2 and the G5 is another level in it IQ.

4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Me too! Bought mine yesterday on amazon for $380+7 shipping body only new.

I will miss my E-620 as the build quality and buttons are way nicer than the G5, but the G5 will make up for it in IQ. I hope. Also will miss the sharing of batteries with my E-PM2...

G5 is truly an amazing deal at $400-500 current prices when it compares so well to GH3 and OM-D at twice the price.

5. LDBecker

LDBecker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 8, 2012
    You're going to really love it. Although I usually shoot AV or manual mode on my Canon 5DII, I found myself using and enjoying the IA mode on the G5. It really gives great results - especially in quick changing situations where you are grabbing a shot without the time to meter. I enjoy it as a vacation and casual camera, and it does well in general use as well. I haven't picked up my 5DII in months...

But be forewarned... it's a "gateway" camera... it hooked me on m43's, and now I have several lenses and a GH3, the new Olympus FL600R flash (the Panny version wasn't out yet), and even the ML2 microphone for the GH3. I hope your resolve is better than mine - but it appears not to be!
    Good luck with your new camera!

Larry

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    Well camera arrived, and have had a run through the menus and set ups, hopefully get a chance to play and take some photos when I get home from work before it gets dark, now working overtime at the weekend so won't get to much chance at the weekend, at least the overtime will help pay for the camera :thumbup:

7. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Enjoy! I've got another week or so to wait for mine!

8. nevf

nevf New to Mu-43

Mar 4, 2013
    I ordered a G5 last week from B&H on a fantastic special they were running. This is my first 4/3rds camera and a move back to more serious photography from a Nikon F1 SLR many, many moons ago. I'm in Australia and it should arrive early next week. I'm really looking forward to getting it. We are heading off to Vietnam later in April and I'm sure it will reward me with great photos during a trip. Lots to read, learn and play with before we go.

9. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    I just ordered mine, it is scheduled to be here Wednesday the 13th. This is after:
    1) Swearing no new gear this year
    2) I'm not going to support two systems
    3) I'm getting out of M4/3 system and going exclusively with Nikon
    I am simply not reliable but am :smile:ing

10. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Got mine yesterday! First impressions:

- shutter sound is loud and unrefined. Eww. Electronic shutter willl get used here!

- 4 way controller/button kinda sucks. The silver text on silver button is lame.

- EVF is awesome

- Ergo is nice, as everyone says.

- Love the power zoom toggle for +/- comp

- In camera HDR, I think. Seems hard to understand what's going on.

- Setup/Menus are confusing, being an Oly user.

- Background image on Setup menus is lame. I turned mine off.

- AF speed with P14/2.5 seems better than on E-PM2.

- AF speed with 14-54 II seems as good or better than on E-PM2.

- G5 looks a heck of a lot better than E-PM2 with 14-54 II.

- IQ reserving judgement, but this is a nice package.

• Like Like x 1
  11. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Folks, the most pleasing aspect of the G5, at least for me, is that the AF speed with the adapted 14-54 II is really good. It feels about as good as an entry level DSLR with kit lens from a few years ago.

It's noticeably better than the E-PM2, which from what I've read, is not what anyone else has been saying. I briefly tried my lens on the OM-D and couldn't really tell if it was faster than the -PM2 but for sure, this G5 smokes them both.

I also noticed the G5 AF is faster with the 45-175 X mounted, and seems to be better with the P14/2.5 as well.

The E-PM2 is known to be a really quick focuser with native lenses...but I think the Panasonic algorithm may be better. Less hunting in my limited anecdotal experience.

12. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    My G5 is on its way as well! I ordered mine at a very reasonable price, body 345€!

I am very excited and i can't wait to get the new body. It is going to replace my old G3, i'm sure this was a great deal :2thumbs:

13. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    A few more days with the G5 and....the sensor is definitely not as good as E-PM2, especially above ISO 2000.

Whereas the E-PM2 sensor retains its colour and "sparkle", the G5 tends towards that slightly foggy misty look that reminds me of my old E-510 at ISO 800+. Like the WB is off a bit, or somebody put a 5% sepia filter on. The fine grain isn't too objectionable but for sure this baby should stay under ISO 3200. I'm a JPEG shooter, maybe RAW is more comparable?

That being said, the AF is bloody fast, In bright light, focus is pretty much BAM! now and this pretty much can nail focus of, say, a kid swinging on a swing.

It also doesn't seem to clip the mic signal (E-PM2 is terrible at this) for video at volumes that really aren't very loud.

If only they let the video or iA buttons be assignable to anything else!

• Like Like x 1
  14. jogawild

jogawild New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2013
    I love my G5. Upgraded from a G3 was well worth it!

15. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    My wife just ordered one for me from B&H for my BDay with a 45-150 pana which they are offering for an unbeatable price for herself to go with my old G10. SHould be here next week....can't wait but I have to!!!

16. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Is it just me or does anyone else notice that greens are rendered somewhat yellowy with the Lumix JPEG engine? I'm used to Oly colours...how to get them?

17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    You can adjust the settings (contrast, sharpness, saturation and NR) for each photo mode in the menu. Olympus JPEG rendering is a bit nicer than Panasonics to my eye. Seems a bit more saturated with warmer reds and greens. Panasonic JPEGs somtimes look a bit cool. After growing up with Kodak films, warmer tones just look "right" to me. I think Fuji films tend toward cooler colors, so maybe Panasonic is tuned to Japanese tastes. I can't tell you how to get Oly colors, but try the vivid or scenery modes. Also, you can manually increase WB when you shoot.

Or get Lightroom and shoot RAW. Basic editing (just tones, WB, sharpening and NR) is pretty simple. Once you get the colors how you like them you can save that as a preset and process them in bulk (with the added benefit of being able to dive in deeper and make a photo really shine if you really want to).

18. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    G5

G5 feels very good on hands and it is very fast and over all feels really really good!

The greatest improvement is the new grip, i absolutely love it! I really can highly recommended G5 for everyone who thinks to upgrade G3 to G5 etc, with these prices it definitely worth it!

One question: isn't there a extended ISO available on G5?

19. rashmedo

rashmedo New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    cant wait

cant wait