G5 on board flash shadow

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bborzell, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Bborzell

Bborzell New to Mu-43

Nov 10, 2013
    Well, admittedly, it has been a long time since I have used an on board flash on any camera, much less the G5 I bought in November, but the effect I just saw on a shot of my cats seems really odd.

I saw a nice cat configuration and grabbed the G5, didn't take time to affix the hot shoe mount flash and shot away at the shortest focal length (14mm with the std 14-42) with the hood attached. The result was a cinder cone like shadow coming up from the bottom of the frame of each shot. I took off the hood and the shadow was gone. Mounted the external flash and no shadow.

Ran the lens out to 42mm and the shadow disappeared at about 30mm. So, effectively, the std lens/onboard flash combo will not produce a usable image at less than 30mm or without removing the lens hood.

Panasonic folks say this is a noted issue, but not a defect. If the built in flash zaps images at all but the longest focal length if the hood is used, one would think that this would be documented. Maybe it is somewhere in the manual, but I didn't see it.

I can simply use my external flash, but the camera was originally fitted with a built in flash and a 14-42 lens. One would think that they would be designed to work together.
  2. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    I haven't tried this on my G5, but I've seen it in other situations. I think is just not physically possible to design a lens hood for a zoom that will not interrupt the beam of the on board flash at a wide angle, while still doing its job of keeping light off the lens.
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It's not right to call this an 'issue'.

Lots of camera/lens combinations do this with the hood on the lens. You just take the hood off to shoot with the flash. It's simple geometry.
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    You shouldn't need the hood with the flash in most situations anyway. But I've also noticed the problem with legacy lenses + adapters.
  5. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    It is frustrating to discover this, but it is not uncommon. It happens on my Olympus E-PM1 even without a lens hood at wide angles on the kit lens.
  6. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Todd Cleaver
    The situation you describe is mentioned on page 87 of the manual. The hood will also impact the focus assist lamp, that is mentioned on page 168. I have found this to be the case with many cameras with on board flash at short focal lengths. I try and rember to remove the hood but have forgotten more times than I care to admit.:smile:
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Surely this is a generic issue with dozens of po-up flash cameras and potentially hundreds of lenses.
    I would not expect a mention in the manual, or a special design to work together better.
  8. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    The flash shadow can actually improve an image if you compose so the shadow covers an ugly tablecloth or other distracting element.