G5 MF Assistant

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bacek, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Bacek

Bacek Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Hello,

Just received Minolta MD adapter for 50/1.4 adapted lens. Played it little bit. Is there a way to enable MF Assistant for focusing with one button click? I know I can touch the screen, but I don't like it when I use EVF and it moves focus point.

Regards
    Bacek

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Can you assign the digital teleconverter (Ex Tele Conv) function to a toggle button? That should allow you to turn it on (zoom in/crop digitally), focus, toggle off and take the shot.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    By default when manual lenses are attached to the G5, the rear dial wheel is toggling between the EV compensation and MF Assistant.
    Just press the rear dial wheel and you will get the MF Assistant in your EVF or screen.

4. Bacek

Bacek Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks elavon,

I didn't know I can press it. I thought it only turns around. I'll check it at home.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I tend to shoot with quite a few manual lenses, and have gotten used to putting my thumb directly on the wheel. Almost never use the LCD, and really easy to click it, and then scroll from 4x framed (only center 50%), to 4x overall to 8x overall, and then back when using them. Be aware the more you stop down, the less light you have when toggling MF assist. I have only really noticed it at about f11+ and the 8x zoom, but you may have different results.

6. ashisban

ashisban New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    I have assigned the Fn 1 button to manual focusing and after pressing that if I turn the focusing ring the camera automatically zooms and helps in pin point focusing. It is a great feature indeed. I think to achieve this you have to set MF Assist and MF Guide to ON under Custom Menu.

7. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Yup.... what they said.

8. Bacek

Bacek Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Pressing rear dial works like a charm. For me better would be to use zoom lever but I'll guess this would never happen.

9. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    I think it will work without MF Guide ON.