1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G5 Max card speed, some basic testing

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by InlawBiker, Jul 6, 2014.

1. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Hi all,

I recently bought a G5 and like my old G3, the buffer is fairly limited. I was wondering whether the G5 would support the newest 95mb/s cards, or whether it was limited to slower cards. I haven't been able to find out for sure using Google so I've done some unscientific testing of my own.

I did find tests done by Imaging Resource.com (link) and compared them to the cards that I own. The camera definitely benefits from using 45mb/s SD cards, and it appears to benefit from the 95mb/s cards as well. I also compared to my older 20mb/s cards.

I thought I'd post in case others were wondering the same thing.

This is the buffer clearing time shooting 20 JPEGs (super-burst mode), timed with a stopwatch.

20mb/s card = 27sec to clear buffer
    45mb/s card = 18sec to clear buffer
    95mb/s card = 12sec to clear buffer

It was difficult to test RAW write speed because when you use faster cards you get more images into the buffer. The benefit I extrapolated looks like this:

20mb/s card = 7 RAW file buffer hard limit.
    45mb/s card = 8 RAW file buffer hard limit
    95mb/s card = 9 RAW file buffer hard limit.

My conclusion is that the G5 does support the 95mb/s cards. Hope this helps somebody out there.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    You helped.

Thanks for doing this - I wondered myself but sometimes the technical information provided zones me out!
    You've presented your results in a clear, concise manner and I thank you for it. :thumbup:

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I did some testing to see whether the buffer would clear raw files faster with a 95mbps card than a 45mbps card (both SanDisk Extreme Pro). I found no meaningful difference, which accords with your conclusion.