1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 & LR3.6

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by moccaman, Aug 21, 2013.

1. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Ok so what am I missing? :) I cannot preview any images from the G5 in LR3, I checked updates and updated to 3.6 but that only seems to cover the GX1.
    Help? :redface:

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Hi, most likely you need a newer version of Lightroom, version 4 to support the G5 RAW files.

3. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Reading the google results pointed me to Adobe DNG convertor to use with LR3, so to those in the know, is this fine to use with no degradation to your raw files?

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    So long as you use don't select 'lossy compression' from the options, yes - there's no loss of quality. But you probably want to keep a copy of the original RW2s in case you later want to process with software that doesn't support DNGs.

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Yes, it's a good way to go. You only get the RAW conversion ability of LR3 and not the improved conversion engine in the new versions of LR though.

As dhazeghi said, you should keep the original RAW files as well. You can either keep them as the original separate files or using the DNG Converter's option to embed the original in the DNG. If you do the latter, you can use the DNG Converter to extract the original RAW later. It does make the DNG much larger when the original is embedded, but then keeping two files, simply DNG and original RAW, takes roughly the same space.

6. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks guys, makes sense, I will look into later LR sometime in the future, for now at least I can convert and do some processing to see how the G5 images come out! :)

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I remember Ilia Borg comparing original RAWs with converted DNGs and coming to the conclusion that DNG conversion is, in fact, not lossless.