G5 & LR3.6

moccaman

Mu-43 Veteran
Ok so what am I missing? :) I cannot preview any images from the G5 in LR3, I checked updates and updated to 3.6 but that only seems to cover the GX1.
Help? :redface:

moccaman

Mu-43 Veteran
Reading the google results pointed me to Adobe DNG convertor to use with LR3, so to those in the know, is this fine to use with no degradation to your raw files?

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Reading the google results pointed me to Adobe DNG convertor to use with LR3, so to those in the know, is this fine to use with no degradation to your raw files?

So long as you use don't select 'lossy compression' from the options, yes - there's no loss of quality. But you probably want to keep a copy of the original RW2s in case you later want to process with software that doesn't support DNGs.

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Yes, it's a good way to go. You only get the RAW conversion ability of LR3 and not the improved conversion engine in the new versions of LR though.

As dhazeghi said, you should keep the original RAW files as well. You can either keep them as the original separate files or using the DNG Converter's option to embed the original in the DNG. If you do the latter, you can use the DNG Converter to extract the original RAW later. It does make the DNG much larger when the original is embedded, but then keeping two files, simply DNG and original RAW, takes roughly the same space.

moccaman

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks guys, makes sense, I will look into later LR sometime in the future, for now at least I can convert and do some processing to see how the G5 images come out! :)

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
So long as you use don't select 'lossy compression' from the options, yes - there's no loss of quality. But you probably want to keep a copy of the original RW2s in case you later want to process with software that doesn't support DNGs.

I remember Ilia Borg comparing original RAWs with converted DNGs and coming to the conclusion that DNG conversion is, in fact, not lossless.

Latest threads

Top Bottom