G5 Loose LCD Repair?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BillW, Jun 3, 2015.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I'm having an issue with one of my G5's.

The LCD screen has loosened and is wobbly, after only about 11,000 shots.

I did some searches on the web and found a similar problem with some GH3's, and a repair video showing that there a two mounting screws which need some Loctite to keep the screws from backing out where the screen is mounted to the body.

Anyway, I contacted Panasonic, and literally got the run-around trying to get a quote to have this fixed. The call center people kept telling me I had to send it in, but I explained to them that I didn't want to send it in until I had a rough idea of how much it could cost to have the repair done. The last person I spoke to at their repair facility in Texas quoted me a minimum repair rate of $287.50! I honestly think that this is a defect that should be repaired without charge, but that's another story.

The camera's actual value is less than that now, but a good camera just as well.

I'm looking to see if there is a reputable repair facility in the US that is capable of doing this repair and not taking me over the coals. It's not something I want to attempt to repair myself.

I've never seen this happen before.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 All-Pro

Bill I know they have a "minor" and "major" repair rate. My guess is that you were quoted the major rate (in error). Read the "sticky" and make sure you have some type of contact info available. I know, for certain that Panasonic's Call Center social media team monitors several forums, and has reached out to people. I had a similar problem and fixed it myself. It did require that a good deal of the camera needed to be disassembled.

Here's the link:
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/60463/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.