1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 Loose LCD Repair?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BillW, Jun 3, 2015.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I'm having an issue with one of my G5's.

The LCD screen has loosened and is wobbly, after only about 11,000 shots.

I did some searches on the web and found a similar problem with some GH3's, and a repair video showing that there a two mounting screws which need some Loctite to keep the screws from backing out where the screen is mounted to the body.

Anyway, I contacted Panasonic, and literally got the run-around trying to get a quote to have this fixed. The call center people kept telling me I had to send it in, but I explained to them that I didn't want to send it in until I had a rough idea of how much it could cost to have the repair done. The last person I spoke to at their repair facility in Texas quoted me a minimum repair rate of $287.50! I honestly think that this is a defect that should be repaired without charge, but that's another story.

The camera's actual value is less than that now, but a good camera just as well.

I'm looking to see if there is a reputable repair facility in the US that is capable of doing this repair and not taking me over the coals. It's not something I want to attempt to repair myself.

I've never seen this happen before.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Bill I know they have a "minor" and "major" repair rate. My guess is that you were quoted the major rate (in error). Read the "sticky" and make sure you have some type of contact info available. I know, for certain that Panasonic's Call Center social media team monitors several forums, and has reached out to people. I had a similar problem and fixed it myself. It did require that a good deal of the camera needed to be disassembled.

Here's the link:
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/60463/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015