1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 Lightroom defaults

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kingduct, Oct 22, 2013.

1. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Hey folks,
    Still getting used to the G5. After reading so many people's feedback, I am decided to use RAW with the G5. However, I am not totally sold on the default import settings of Lightroom (versus the out-of-camera jpegs produced by my old E-PL1). I feel like by default, Lightroom should be producing better jpegs than the old camera, seeing as how it has vastly more processing power and my new camera is better than my old one. Yet, it does not do so. I end up having to tweak photos in post-processing more than I desire.

Thus far, I feel I've basically resolved colors by using the Huelight variations (I don't always prefer them, but I usually do and I've made them my default). The other thing I'm most concerned about is sharpening -- I find that Lightroom's default often is not sharp enough.

Anybody have preferences for default sharpening on G5 raw files in Lightroom? Anybody have preferences on other aspects of import for the G5?

2. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Around 60-90 on sharpening. I also tweak up luminance smoothing to compensate any noise. BTW, LR default sharpening was not strong enough on the 5D2 either.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Thank you. I'd appreciate thoughts from others -- I know that some people have different settings at different ISOs, etc. My goal is to be able to do a Lightroom import and have things looking good by default. I am fine with doing minor tweaking, but doing lots of tweaking on every photo is not fun for me, and my goal is to have fun.

4. cpclark

cpclark Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2013
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Christopher Paul
    For RAW files from any camera, they will not look as good as a SOOC Jpeg unless you apply a preset during import. I have created for myself custom ones that contain most of the tweaks I would make to a picture for a particular camera. This way I only have to do a few more adjustments to the an image if I want to but most of the batch comes in looking how I want it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Thanks cpclark. Yes, my goal is to see what others have found work for their presets. My hope (which may be incorrect) is that by harnessing the testing that many G5 owners have already done, we can make the preset-setup process easier for new G5 users (and new Lightroom users) like myself.

Put another way, Olympus had really good jpeg conversion presets for my old E-PL1. I've given up on having such good in-camera presets for the G5, but am hopeful that others will help me figure out how to have comparably good Lightroom presets.

6. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
  7. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Toddster, I totally agree about the Huelight. Thanks to Huelight, color is no longer a problem, but sharpness (and perhaps other things like noise reduction) are and Huelight doesn't do those. I'm still hoping to get more feedback from the G5 lovers out there...

8. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    My g5 lr settings

This message appears also in another thread regarding G5 JPEG settings)

I finally got to my computer (and not for work :) ) so here are some of my stuff for LR and PS.
    The attached zip file contains 2 folders: PS and LR.

the LR folder needs to be copied to the path given in the text file. It contains presets for all ISO settings for the G5 as I set them.
    Take note: I use the standard color profile for the G5 and not the Adobe color profile. I bought this color profile from colorfidelity.com (I am not affiliated to him and gain nothing by advertising his profile) and under the export option in LR I use the sharpen 50 droplet (appears under my LR\export actions folder).
    What you basically need to do here is:
    Use a tripod and your best lens and take photos of the same scene at all ISOs (HAVE THE SAME APERTURE ON ALL IMAGES) of the G5. Shoot in RAW of course.
    Import all the RAW files to LR and use the develop palette.
    Go to EDIT-->PREFERENCES-->Presets and make sure that both 'make defaults specific to camera serial number' and 'make defaults specific to camera ISO settings' are both ticked.
    Now - click on each image of the images you shot and choose my preset for that ISO (I would advise to first have the colorfidelity profiles installed and working) and the colorfidelity profile selected.
    After you chose the correct preset, before you move to the next image hold the ALT button (you're still in develop module) and you'll see the button Reset at the bottom right switches to Set Default...
    By doing this to all the images you created defaults settings per ISO setting for all your G5 RAW images in the future.
    Now all that's left is to add the photoshop action to the Export->User Presets (this of course requires Photoshop installed) and you're all set!

All these settings were tweaked by me to achieve very similar color, noise levels and general look between all ISOs (the very high ISO are very muddy and I had to dial down yellow hue and saturation gradually for them, for instance).

The PS folder contains an action file (.atn) which you simply double click and then Photoshop loads (if it wasn't loaded) and the action will appear in your actions palette.
    This is the best sharpening action I know and it works locally in a way I cannot manage to achieve in LR.
    It's the same one in the droplet - just in case you want to use it for general stuff in PS. I would like to give credit to the author but don't remember where I got it from.

Enjoy and happy shooting!

( View attachment G5_LR_Presets_and_PS_SHARPEN_ATN.zip

• Like Like x 1
  9. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I look forward to trying these out. Thanks! I'll definitely report back on my results and try to post some sample images (I'm really hoping to get some pictures that resemble the quality other people have shared on the G5 image thread).

10. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Sure thing.
    I'm just reminding you that my end results are based on using the presets with the colorfidelity profiles and running that extra sharpening with the Photoshop droplet.
    Without those 2 the colors might be less accurate and the razor sharp sharpening will be absent.

11. Timos L

Timos L Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Timos :)
    I used G3 for more than a year and now I'm using the G5. For both cameras, I'm pretty satisfied of my work in LR on the RAW files, I tweak them the way I want depending on the photo conditions (night, high ISOs, sky-clouds, shadows etc).

However, my problem is sharpness. The JPEGs of both cameras are very sharp, even with my supposed-to-be mediocre 14-42 PZ X lens. But the RAWs are soft. So far so good, RAWs are always soft and dull in the first place. But for my life, I can not achieve the JPEGs's sharpness in any way when working with the RAW files.

If I simply rise sharpness, I get noise everywhere and the result in the sharpened edges is of compact camera level.

So far I get an acceptable sharpness as an indirect result of my work on highlights/shadows and on the tone curve, but still it does not match the original JPEG's one.

Is there any advice to get good sharpness on the G5 RAW files?

yehuda, I appreciate your post above but I seek a simpler way, because I don't need to own a PS copy and also I prefer to do all other adjustments manually and have no problem with this so far in LR.

12. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    double post...

13. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Try starting from my presets and gently adjust the sharpness slider while compensating for accentuated noise with the noise reduction sliders.
    I think it's possible but this method of sharpening affects all the image globally whereas the PS action works in a local method which will always yield superior results... if only it could have been achieved within LR only!

14. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    You do know the masking slider in LR applies the sharpening selectively don't you? Hold the alt key down when moving the slider and see where the sharpening is applied...

15. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    That's similar to the opacity of a layer in PS, isn't it?
    The influence is still global on all pixels in the image.

I'll look into what you said about holding the alt.

Still looking for a general automatic setting which is good enough for all my images within LR only...

I know optimal results require working on each image separately and meticulously but don't want to waste my time on such refinements only to achieve miniscule advantages in the output.
    My PS action is good enough for my taste and I want to achieve similar results without needing to launch PS....

16. Timos L

Timos L Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Timos :)
    Yes I'm aware of this feature. However, by using it, I can skip the appearence to noice in the sky and the large areas but the sharpened lines are pixeled and not clear as in the JPEG output.

17. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    The influence is local. That is, the more local contrast there is, the more brighter the mask is and the more sharpening is applied. You can look at it the other way, which is it is very easy to mask out areas that require no sharpening. I'd suggest a good half hour applying different settings in the Detail panel before saying PS is vastly superior to LR....

18. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Huh? I don't follow what you are saying. It works perfectly for me (although you really need to be at 1:1 view to see the effect it has).

19. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Well, I already have the Huelight colors, though I don't have photoshop. If extra sharpening is needed, I'll have to do it case-by-case in LR. Still, my ultimate goal is that I should be getting photos from the G5/LR combination that should look better than the SOOC jpegs from my old E-PL1. Mind you, I don't need my jpegs to be perfect, just better than the old camera's SOOC jpegs. Perfection can come from tinkering.

Alas, I haven't yet had time to test these presets, but I hope to tonight or tomorrow.

20. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    In my testing these presets made the gx1 RAW files better looking then the ooc jpegs from my now sold EM5.
    But that included the sharpening action of course.