1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

G5 kit with rough zoom

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BillW, Jan 8, 2013.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I received my G5 kit just yesterday with the 14-42 zoom lens.

So far, I'm fairly satisfied with the camera, but the lens is not smooth when it comes to zooming.

Is this the nature of this lens? A bad version? Something that will smooth out with use? Or just a cheap lens that I'm expecting too much of?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I got this lens two weeks ago and it is not as smooth as the P14-45 and P45-200 other zooms I own. Probably we have our lenses from the same batch.:smile:

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Having owned several copies of the 14-42mm kit (assuming you're not talking about the power-zoom version) I can also confirm that the zoom has a rougher feel to it - I'm guessing it is an almost entirely plastic build (after all it was made with no better reason than to be cheaper than the original 14-45mm), where metal parts would have the more characteristic smooth zoom motion.

4. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
  5. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    Not just the build quality but the image quality is poor compared to almost ever other m4/3 lens.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    For the price the IQ is decent and for most people it is sufficient.
    It is not a bad lens and can produce good quality pictures with sharp center.

Panasonic 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Micro Four Thirds Zoom Lens Review

7. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I had one and it was a bit rough to zoom as well. I observed the same behavior on the much more expensive 12-35mm F/2.8 as well, which is why I picked up a 14-42 power-zoom instead for video use mostly.

8. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011

My copy is very bad and not even close to the 14-42PZ or the 12-50mm Olympus IQ. Poor contrast and not even close to being sharp. But for the $499 I paid for the G5 kit I am not complaining - just saying I would not ever use that lens.

9. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
  10. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    The Panny 14-42 is 'rough as guts'. The only lens worse that I've had is the original Oly 14-42. I sold mine and picked up the earlier 14-45. Better IQ and much smoother.

11. Sportshoes

Sportshoes New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2013
    My lens is quite stiff but has become smoother as I used it. My first impression when unboxed it, was that it felt cheap compared to the camera. Not surprising that this lens is bundled with this package. I got a great price for the camera/lens kit so I'm not complaining. I'm sure i'll upgrade it at some point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.