1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 kit with rough zoom

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BillW, Jan 8, 2013.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I received my G5 kit just yesterday with the 14-42 zoom lens.

So far, I'm fairly satisfied with the camera, but the lens is not smooth when it comes to zooming.

Is this the nature of this lens? A bad version? Something that will smooth out with use? Or just a cheap lens that I'm expecting too much of?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I got this lens two weeks ago and it is not as smooth as the P14-45 and P45-200 other zooms I own. Probably we have our lenses from the same batch.:smile:

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Having owned several copies of the 14-42mm kit (assuming you're not talking about the power-zoom version) I can also confirm that the zoom has a rougher feel to it - I'm guessing it is an almost entirely plastic build (after all it was made with no better reason than to be cheaper than the original 14-45mm), where metal parts would have the more characteristic smooth zoom motion.

4. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
  5. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    Not just the build quality but the image quality is poor compared to almost ever other m4/3 lens.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    For the price the IQ is decent and for most people it is sufficient.
    It is not a bad lens and can produce good quality pictures with sharp center.

Panasonic 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Micro Four Thirds Zoom Lens Review

7. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I had one and it was a bit rough to zoom as well. I observed the same behavior on the much more expensive 12-35mm F/2.8 as well, which is why I picked up a 14-42 power-zoom instead for video use mostly.

8. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011

My copy is very bad and not even close to the 14-42PZ or the 12-50mm Olympus IQ. Poor contrast and not even close to being sharp. But for the $499 I paid for the G5 kit I am not complaining - just saying I would not ever use that lens.

9. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
  10. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    The Panny 14-42 is 'rough as guts'. The only lens worse that I've had is the original Oly 14-42. I sold mine and picked up the earlier 14-45. Better IQ and much smoother.

11. Sportshoes

Sportshoes New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2013
    My lens is quite stiff but has become smoother as I used it. My first impression when unboxed it, was that it felt cheap compared to the camera. Not surprising that this lens is bundled with this package. I got a great price for the camera/lens kit so I'm not complaining. I'm sure i'll upgrade it at some point.