G5 kit now $359.99 New @ Amazon

Aegon

Mu-43 Veteran
My camera delivered, but the lens was on backorder. They canceled the lens and the rebate, selling me the camera for regular price.

Needless to say I'm upset. I've emailed them asking them to do the right thing. If they don't then I'll explore the consumer protection laws.

I'm trying not to take it personally, but their approach is outrageous. Sending the body at regular price, then later canceling the lens and rebate. If they had just withheld the body, lens, and rebate then I'd understand. Instead, this is a bait and switch, after taking money, from Amazon of all sellers.

jgmankos

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
My camera delivered, but the lens was on backorder. They canceled the lens and the rebate, selling me the camera for regular price.

Needless to say I'm upset. I've emailed them asking them to do the right thing. If they don't then I'll explore the consumer protection laws.

I'm trying not to take it personally, but their approach is outrageous. Sending the body at regular price, then later canceling the lens and rebate. If they had just withheld the body, lens, and rebate then I'd understand. Instead, this is a bait and switch, after taking money, from Amazon of all sellers.

Did they charge you the difference after it shipped?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Aegon

Mu-43 Veteran
When the body shipped, it shipped at regular price, about $360. But the invoice indicated that the lens was on backorder and was selling for about $240 minus a $200 rebate, bringing the lens portion down to $40, so that the total was the $404 or whatever that you also got.

They canceled the lens and rebate, so I got a body for about $360. Which is fine if that was what they offered and what I bought. But it wasn't what I bought. So it isn't fine.

The part that gets me is that instead of canceling the entire order, they just canceled the good-deal part of the order, and after I received the camera and had time to resell it (I just wanted the lens), *then* they canceled the lens and rebate. I'm upset at the partial performance and delayed cancelation. They withheld information that would have allowed me to make the best of the situation by canceling the whole deal. They promised a deal, delivered the portion of the deal that benefits themselves the most, waited a week, then reneged on the part of the deal that was supposed to be sweet.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I see I got the same email, fortunately I received both the camera and lens, as I would be just as upset if they pulled that on me. To be quite frank Amazon is starting to disappoint on more than one front lately. They are already losing my business with prime owing to changing smaller value items to 'add-ons' where you have to add them to other things valued over $25 in order to even buy them - how that differs from regular super saver shipping is beyond me (for the most part I can wait for things...I'll just pay for 2nd day the few times I can wait from now on). They also sent me a 500gb hard drive a few months ago (from warehouse deals)...when the item I ordered was a 1tb drive. If they are going to start changing deals after the fact well, that is about the last leg they had to stand on in my book. They are acting more like bestbuy every day.

dwrk

Mu-43 Regular
well...they just cancelled my entire order...no camera no lens...i'm so upset...

also they wipe away any trace of my order from my account...i expect at least it says cancelled due to error...

stalker

New to Mu-43
I'm in the market for my first m4/3 and was kicking myself for missing the 360/400 deal by 2 hours.

Makes me feel a lot better about putting down 543 for the camera + lens now :)

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
Like pxpaul, I've been less than thrilled with Amazon's watering down their Prime membership as well as their subscribe & save deals. My membership just auto renewed, or I might have thought twice about renewing. Reneging on deals after the fact is crass at best IMNSHO. Definitely file a consumer protection report.

--
Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Like pxpaul, I've been less than thrilled with Amazon's watering down their Prime membership as well as their subscribe & save deals. My membership just auto renewed, or I might have thought twice about renewing. Reneging on deals after the fact is crass at best IMNSHO. Definitely file a consumer protection report.

--

Thankfully my prime membership wasn't coming up until the beginning of May - I hadn't even heard of the add-on fiasco until I went to buy a couple of small bicycle parts only to find that lovely add-on feature. Seems as though every time Amazon goes adding a 'benefit' to their loyal customers, it is a well written email describing how they are taking something away.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
Thankfully my prime membership wasn't coming up until the beginning of May - I hadn't even heard of the add-on fiasco until I went to buy a couple of small bicycle parts only to find that lovely add-on feature. Seems as though every time Amazon goes adding a 'benefit' to their loyal customers, it is a well written email describing how they are taking something away.

Yes, they were very sneaky about introducing the add-on "feature." I too learned of it when I went to buy a few small items.

--

Aegon

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been emailing Amazon customer service and they've agreed to sell the lens and apply the rebate. Therefore everything worked out in the end.

I maintain that the cancelation, applied after selling the more expensive part of the shipment, was not made in fairness, and that I was right to be upset. And though things worked out in the end, I do not appreciate having to draft emails and wait for customer service to make things right.

I've been a longtime Prime user. My treatment in this matter has made me more skeptical of Amazon as a retailer and I will be more sensitive to their behavior in the future.

madogvelkor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, they were very sneaky about introducing the add-on "feature." I too learned of it when I went to buy a few small items.

--

To be fair, they are losing money on Prime. The alternative was likely raising the prices quite a bit.

MadMan

Mu-43 Regular
To be fair, they are losing money on Prime. The alternative was likely raising the prices quite a bit.
This. I think of amazon as one of the last relics of the dot-com boom. Their business model never seemed sustainable to me. I would rather they limit the free shipping, force people to "bunch" orders a little to reduce their costs, than see them raise prices on everything to compensate for these losses. Finally, full disclosure, it troubled me for some time that they may have made things "too easy" to order with free shipping. This seemed to be a policy with negative environmental impacts, as well as financial. Even though I have been a prime member for many years, I also have "carbon footprint" guilt and self-imposed some level of delayed gratification when I could even before the add-on program, in order to reduce the number of times that big brown truck has to drive down my cul-de-sac. I even changed to 3-5 day shipping over the default 2 day setting when it really didn't matter to me how soon I got it (weirdly, I found I still usually ended up getting it in a couple days anyway!)

And anyway, it's not like they have only been removing usefulness from Prime. They have just been transforming it, making it more about media (adding free prim videos, kindle lending library) and repeat business (bigger subscribe & save discounts if you order enough). This makes sense given their clear business model to become more of a content delivery provider (compete with apple, netflix, etc). They don't want to raise the price of membership (look what that did to netflix, lol!), so they trim benefits somewhere else where it makes most sense (has biggest positive impact on margins). I'm saying I totally understand what they are doing with Prime, and I don't think it was motivated by desire to "screw" anyone, I think it clear that it is motivated by their long range business plan. A *very* clever one too! I don't think I would have ever signed up for Prime if it was just for media content. But they got me hooked into it with the low prices & free shipping, and, being a captured customer, they've successfully gotten me to buy into their "media ecosystem" (vs apple, google, netflix etc) by giving it to me "free" as part of the Prime membership I already had.

Anyway, all of this is OT to this thread. I actually understand the cancellations a little - it surprised me that they kept taking orders even after the 45-150 lens went out of stock, given that the fine print on that page said that it was limited to stock on hand, it clearly was a mistake in their ordering system. So I think those orders were never meant to be allowed in the first place. What I think is the real issue here is how they have inconsistently handled their response. Some people got total cancellations, others just got the G5 kit at the price they would have paid for it alone, others got the G5 but with $120 additional discount (I guess a proportional amount of the $200 promotion discount?) That's the bizarre part to me.

madogvelkor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Some people got total cancellations, others just got the G5 kit at the price they would have paid for it alone, others got the G5 but with $120 additional discount (I guess a proportional amount of the $200 promotion discount?) That's the bizarre part to me.

I know when I ordered a similar deal a few months ago, on the invoice they proportionally applied the $200 discount to the camera kit and the lens, rather than just $200 off the lens.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
I've been emailing Amazon customer service and they've agreed to sell the lens and apply the rebate. Therefore everything worked out in the end.

I maintain that the cancelation, applied after selling the more expensive part of the shipment, was not made in fairness, and that I was right to be upset. And though things worked out in the end, I do not appreciate having to draft emails and wait for customer service to make things right.

I've been a longtime Prime user. My treatment in this matter has made me more skeptical of Amazon as a retailer and I will be more sensitive to their behavior in the future.

Glad it worked out, Aegon, but I completely agree with you. Here's my latest snafu with Amazon that will necessitate my calling them:

On Monday, I ordered new RAM for my computer. They shipped it via Prestige, unfortunately. My RAM was supposed to be delivered today, but tracking says that Prestige received paperwork but no package for delivery. Great.

I too have been a long-time Prime member, and I'm getting awfully tired of having to call them and spend a fair amount of time rattling Amazon's cage to get things worked out. To be fair, it usually does work out in the end though.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
An update:

Yesterday the Amazon rep apologized profusely for the shipping snafu and promised it was a one-time thing. Yeah, right. I've lost count of the times I've had to call re shipping snafus over the years. She assured me I'd have my computer RAM today.

Today Prestige tracking says they have my package but no paperwork. (They had paperwork and no package yesterday!) I called Amazon and cancelled both my order and my recently auto-renewed Prime membership. (It renewed just a few days ago, and as I hadn't yet used it, I'm getting a full refund.)

I guess I'll be doing less business with Amazon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom