G5 kit now $359.99 New @ Amazon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by jgmankos, Apr 18, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Looks like they are out of stock on the 45-150 that you can get $200 off on though. Which may be why they dropped the price on the G5 kit.

Too bad, since it really would have been an amazing deal if you could get the G5 kit + 45-150 for $359! :eek:

2. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Looks like it was $372 with the two lenses before the 45-150mm sold out. Kind of kicking myself now, but I suppose unless they get the lens back in stock, it would probably come out the same as the $500 deal I got if I had to buy the 45-150 lens separate.

3. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Funny how the body-only version is substantially more expensive. I would've been all over this if it only had the em-5/gh3 sensor.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The EM-5/GH3 sensor is better but not by a significant margin. If you take into consideration that the G5 is just 1/3 the price of the OMD, it's quite amazing!

5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    It's over!:frown:

6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I'm in for 2. Let me know if you're really interest in one of them and we can work it out. ($359+postage, which will be cheap CO to CO).

7. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Oh I got one!

8. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
  9. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    :yahoo::whoo: I got that exact deal! :dance: :dance4:

I'm so glad that I:

1) just missed the $598 adorama deal the first time around (otherwise I would have bought that and been done),
    2) decided to wait & watch a little while before jumping on costco $598 deal,
    3) saw the amazon $200 promotion last friday when 45-150 lens price was briefly $198, and
    4) they gave me a price adjustment on the camera this morning when I called (and the price was still in effect)!

I waited until refund finished processioning before posting, just to be sure they didn't change their minds!! Incredible, dumb luck (both good and bad), led me to the deal of the year on MFT!

:dance2: :woohoo1: :biggrin:

Now, what lens am I going to blow that extra $138 in my pocket on ... ;)

10. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have an E-M5 and the G5 and the G5 has its own charms. I would not hesitate to buy it again.

The only thing my E-M5 really has that distinguishes it totally is the incredible IBIS and weather sealing. The G5 has an excellent sensor really even it it doesn't measure objectively as high as the E-M5 sensor it makes GREAT images.

So if you're going without because you can't afford an E-M5 or whatever I would say just get a cheap G5. It's a very, very rewarding camera and I'm surprised to find myself saying that but I'm now both an OM-D and G series fan! Just for different reasons, lol.

11. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is insane...How is it possible.

The G5 in my opinion is 80% of the E-M5 at 30% of the price for what I need, and really a dumbed down GH2 in terms of video quality (if not capability).

I have been slowing growing to like the G5's IQ, I shot some indoor ambient light candids at ISO 3200 (by mistake it was set that way) and didn't really notice until I zoomed 1:1 on my computer screen.

One stop separates E-M5/E-PM2 from G5, I'd say...

12. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
  13. JasonA

JasonA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    Back to $359 at Amazon! The lens can be ordered too, but it raised to $245. Still, $405 for both is great!

14. JasonA

JasonA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    Haha, I was too slow Madman. Not too slow to order one though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Deal is still there, picked one up myself (GF1 just isn't doing it for me)

16. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The G5 is a "sleeper" camera as some term it. It's a great mu-43 camera that was overshadowed by the E-M5 when it was released. I'd say it's a shame, but I believe the deals are around now because of unsold inventory and a pending G6 camera.

I have a hard time now deciding which camera to pick up: the E-M5 or the G5. Both feel just as capable and the G5 actually has some advantages in handing strangely enough.

So it comes down to IBIS and sealing pretty much now -- and whether I need the HLD-6 grip for the extra battery runtime.

17. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Camera is now out of stock...thats what happens when a good deal hits the front page deals over at slickdeals.net!

18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    This is a dilemma we face in most segments of the camera market. Is "the best", with it's often only slight improvement, worth the usually significant upcharge?

My only advice is not to buy a camera just because it's a great deal. Choose the camera you think you need then try to find a great deal on it. There are literally too many good deals to chase, unless you are flipping gear to make a buck.

19. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Plus, what's the best camera now will feel dated in a year given the way the technology is changing. I'd rather save the money on the body and spend it on lenses, since they'll be good until they break or the MFT format dies.