G5 is now listed on B&H

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by oldskoolboarder, Jul 18, 2012.

1. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    No ship date though. This or OM-E5. Decisions.
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    A bit of apples vs. oranges, no? I like the G5 and may even buy one but I suspect the OM-5 is a clear notch above it. The GH3 may be different, of course.
  3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
  4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    this is interesting..
  5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The Oly is clearly a step above with weather sealing and metal body. But the pricing also makes that clear as well since with the similar 14-42 lenses the Oly is $300 more.

The big question is how does the Panny sensor stand up? If it does then it could be a cheaper alternative. If the Oly sensor is better then the $300 could be well worth it and then some.
  6. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    The GH is the flagship. G is the "prosumer" body.

Although I do think E-M5 and G5 are comparable in terms of range. There should be a higher flagship for OM-D that would be comparable to GH.
  7. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    I don't think the G5 is a flagship. The GH2 would still be that. Besides, there are major differences (not to mention pricing) between the Olympus and the Panasonic. If you are deciding between both, then you need to do more homework for sure. To me, the G5 is a warmed-over G3, not much more. If I were buying Panasonic, I'd wait for the GH3. I still have my G1 and it still functions well.
  8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    My mistake, I forgot about the GH2. I still think that at this point, they're virtually head-to-head in competition, and obviously I'm not the only one if various review sites are picturing them side-by-side for comparison.
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011

I think that's largely because they're the two newest bodies, and about the same size. The GH2 is a fair bit larger. But in terms of capability, the GH2 still out does the G5 in most respects.

But if you really want Panny's top of the line camera, and don't need it right away, the GH3 is widely rumored to be announced in September.
  10. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah, seems we still need more info and time. I'll wait till we have Photokina news.

I'm trying to look at my upgrade path from my trust EPL1. I really like the compactness but the sensor is feeling it's age/capabilities. The OM-D is a big jump and the G5 makes the jump less painful pocket-wise. But a GH3 would be interesting as well.