G5 indoor sports advice

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Everydaybest, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Everydaybest

Everydaybest New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2013
    I'm a new Lumix G5 user, and I'm moving up from point and shoots. Ages ago I used an OM-2, but things have changed since then!

In experimenting with my brand new camera I took it to a seventh grade basketball game. I had a lot of trouble getting the color balance where I wanted it in very poor lighting conditions. The color on the LCD was appealing but the actual photo was much darker and yellower. Other cameras I've owned have had a fluorescent light setting, this camera doesn't seem to have that option. Any suggestions on creating that as a custom option? And how about the darkness? I was adjusting the exposure - I tried a bunch of options including the sport mode without much success. Can i make the photo look like the LCD live view? Perhaps I'm expecting too much?

I also am having trouble with low light video. My ipad creates far brighter results. Any advice on settings I could play with improve low light video?

Many thanks for any advice!
  2. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    I would suggest using a post processing software and shoot in raw mode, maybe raw+jpeg. My favorite photo software is Adobe Lightroom, not sure what you have access to.
    This will allow you to adjust the white-balance and get it to your liking among other settings after the event.
  3. adsinger

adsinger Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 2, 2010
    First Coast, FL
    Shooting RAW is always the best but if you're just stepping up from a P&S it's a pretty big step.

There is no dedicated fluorescent white balance but there are two custom settings you can use. Read the manual for details, but essentially you can use a piece of translucent white plastic (like the top off a Pringles can for example) to set the white balance for any given light source. So next time in that gym, set the lighting to custom light 1. You have another custom setting that can be for some other frequented place, your living room perhaps. Once set, they will remain until overridden.

Hope that helps, like I said, read the manual for details.