1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 in-camera playback zoom

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by yehuda, Nov 19, 2013.

1. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi.

I noticed on both my Panny G5 & GX1 that when I go to playback mode and zoom into an image it seems to show a zoomed-in view of a low resolution version of the image.
    This makes critical focus chwcking impossible. For instance: eyes appear out of focus when zoomed in uaong playback mode but when viewed at 100% pixel view on my pc they're tack sharp.

This happens both when shooting jpeg highest quality and when shooting raw.

otoh my ex em5 showed exactly what you get when zooming in playback mode.

Anyone else experience this? any workaround? is this fixed in the G6?

Thanks!

2. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Just came across this post whilst browsing, and am very pleased to see it. I've not long had a G5 and in the field was getting really worried that I had camera shake or shutter shock or a duff copy of my new 14-140mm lens. I was very relieved when I got home and viewed them on the big screen to see all was well.

Dave

3. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    You're the only one who replied!
    I guess it's a given. That's one of the major flaws of the camera in my opinion. Still - much more fun and intuitive for me compared to my ex omd em5.
    Glad this helped someone :)

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    I've noticed if I shoot Raw or Raw + jpg on my GX7 (OK so not a G5), after the 8x zoom, the image gets very pixellated which I understand is due to it using the lower resolution embedded jpg preview within the raw image. If I shoot jpg only, it appears much better as obviously it only has the full resolution jpg image to zoom in on. Don't know if in this instance that is your issue ?

5. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Don't know because I shoot RAW only - but it certainly makes sense!

Thanks,

Dave

6. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    This has been the norm for quite a while, usually up to 8x shows sharpness ok but 16x is where it all goes to pot as the image being assessed is a low res embedded image. I never usually go beyond 8x as that gives me the best indication of sharpness. It is annoying but easily lived with. Never tried it on a jpg as I shoot raw only, will give it a go and see if there is any difference - doubt very much that it will be fixed in the G6 as there isn't really anything to fix.