1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 image numbering (multiple cameras) help

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Toddster, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    I have two G5 bodies and I find that I am constantly in a state of confusion because of duplicate file names. Is there a way to advance the file numbers in one of the bodies (say by 10,000 or so) to avoid this confusion?

Alternately is there some software that I could use to append something to all of the files (jpegs) as soon as they are transfered to the computer. Manually changing the file names is just to tedious and prone to error.

Any ideas here are appreciated.

Todd

2. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    You can certainly append almost anything to the file name in lightroom. I add the capture date as standard which may in itself work for you in combination with the filename. You could alternatively set up a different import profile for camera a and camera b. I presume other programs have similar features.

It is, I think also possible to reset the camera filename to zero again, which if you did it in one camera only may help you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Thanks angusr. Right now I only shoot jpeg so I have not been using any PP software. I was hoping for some stand alone batch file re-naming software if an in camera solution is not possible. Maybe this is a sign I need to step things up a bit and get lightroom. I just hate spending money on software that could go toward equipment:)
    Todd

4. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    You can reset the folder number in the camera. Go to the setup menu page 4 and select No.Reset, this will advance the folder number eg. 100xxxx to 101xxxx. You can do this several times if you wish to have a greater difference between the cameras. Caution: if you format then select No.Reset, the folder number will revert to 100xxxx

You can download FastStone Image Viewer, it's free. It can rename your files while downloading from your card or can batch rename files after they've been downloaded by any method you may be using now. FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

5. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Thanks Dan,

I will advance my folder number for starters then take a look at FastStone this weekend. This is a great help, I should have asked ages ago.

Todd

6. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    My solution to this has been to import to seperate folders and then rename via BulkRename to the actual taken date including the second. I then add numbering with padding to make the name unique. If you really are shooting with both in overlappin timeframes (seconds) as in two shooters, append "Cam1" and "Cam2" and you'll have unique names that sort to time and date taken.

Download - Bulk Rename Utility

woof!

7. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Special thanks to Dan and Woof. I love FastStone and have made a donation; this is great software. I have downloaded Bulk Rename and can see utilizing it in my workflow when I use two bodies on the same shoot. The ability to name files with the meta data for date and time down to the second is fantastic.

I am new here and folks like you have made me feel right at home.

Thanks again,
    Todd

8. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Most welcome Todd, and welcome to the forum...

woof!