G5 Handling - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by crsnydertx, Sep 2, 2012.

1. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I chased my grandsons age 2 and 3 around Dallas Arboretum this morning with my new G5 in hand, equipped with the legendary 14-45 zoom (my very first μ43 lens). I really liked how the camera felt in my hands! Of particular note:

1) Grip: Very easy to hold the camera one-handed, owing to the "top shelf" on the grip, allowing a place for the middle finger to support the weight. Similar to the optional larger grip available for the E-P3.

2) Placement of shutter release button: I like the new position; very natural, and no chance of activating some other function instead

3) Function lever for exposure compensation: Best surprise of all! Instead of fiddling with the two-function rear dial (which is arguably too small on the G5), the function lever, which is immediately behind the shutter release, is a very easy to use EC control when the lens is not a power zoom.

So far, very pleased. Pictures awaiting installation of Lightroom 4.2RC!
  2. ttan98

ttan98 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    Thanks for your impression.

I like the G5 too, I am looking forward towards upgrading my G2 to G5, the G5 together with high speed lens like 20mm and 45mm would an awesome combo. No need for flash for taking photos indoors(of reasonable lighting conditions)!
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I agree with your 3 points. After shooting with it last week on vacation I have noticed a tendency to accidentally move the focus point and have turned off the touch to focus option.

Also, my grip technique may need to work as a few times my hand has mashed some of the keypad settings on the right hand side when shooting one handed. Maybe it's just me.
  4. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    In the bright sunlight of late morning, I opted to use only the EVF and turned the articulated screen to the storage position. Looking forward to trying the touch screen options in more subdued lighting!
  5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I finally had a chance to see and handle the G5 in a store today. Wow, what a nice grip! I think this is the best m43 grip yet. The rubbery material used feels more solid and expensive than the GH2 they had on display. I actually thought G3 grip was pretty good, but this is way better. the shutter button is positioned nicely.
    I wish Panasonic would offer this grip as a modular option on GX1 like Olympus did with EP3.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    I had an opportunity to take my G5 out onto the streets of Albuquerque near UNM today in search of street images. I used the 20mm Lumix lens, and had the camera set to the Dynamic Monochrome mode. I was also excited to try out the new electronic shutter.

The results are, for me, a game-changer in my street photography. The G5's low-light performance and fast focussing with the Lumix lenses is excellent, and the new Dynamic Monochrome to my eyes is even better than the old G1's Dynamic B&W mode.

But I've left the best for last. The new electronic shutter is remarkable, not only for its quiet operation, but even more so for the way that it speeds up the camera's shutter response. There's no more of the close-open-close action of the mechanical shutter, it's virtually instantaneous.

I've recorded some of my thoughts, and a large number of street photos, from today's outing on my blog. I hope you take a look, let me know what you think.

Michael by jvcabacus, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 1
  7. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    After I bought my G3 and found that it didn't have the G1/G2/GF1 film modes - especially Dynamic B&W - I was really disappointed. It looks like Dynamic Monochrome will restore the old glory. Thanks, Joe!
  8. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Haven't checked out your blog yet, but the image you posted here looks great! The dynamic range in the shot holds it all together. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing...