G5 hack possibilities

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wreckless, Jun 11, 2013.

1. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    Picked up a G5 last month and was wondering if there is anyone working on a hack for it. Specificly; unlocking the multi-aspect sensor so we can use the entire sensor area. Anyone heard anyhing on this becoming a reality?

2. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    Please forgive my ignorance here. I thought the full sensor was 4:3 and the other aspect ratios were subsets of that area. What is the "entire sensor area"?

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    It's okay not everyone knows this but: the G5 has the sensor from the GH2 which is actually a "multi aspect" 18mp sensor. However, the G5 doesn't have the multi-aspect firmware and only uses 16mp of it.

This explains multi-aspect technology if you're not aware of it: http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/10/multi-aspect-sensor.html

Starting with the LX3, Panasonic's "enthusiast compacts" also work this way using a 12mp sensor for a 10mp rated camera.

Vitaly indicates that his hacks are generally only modifying or activating features that are ALREADY IN THE CAMERA. If the G5 firmware does not have the code to use multi aspect -- that's not happening.

As far as I know, there are no hacks that actually add features available for the Panasonic cameras. They may "unlock" a capability, but they aren't new code to add something that wasn't already there.

That being said, there won't be any hack until Panasonic releases a firmware update for the G5. The hack works by importing a firmware .bin file from Panasonic, altering it, then writing the modifed .bin file out to be put in the camera. No .bin file -- no hack.

Hopefully Panasonic will update the G5 before too long, although I don't know of anything really needing a firmware update yet. That is, no systematic problems, new lenses it doesn't support, etc.

4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    The G5 uses the GH2's multi-aspect ratio sensor but the multi-aspect function has been disabled. The GH2 uses the sensor to always have a full 16MP no matter what aspect ratio you shoot in. The G5 will crop depending on your chosen aspect ratio. 4:3 is the only ratio where you get full 16MP res on the G5.

Whether or not the multi-aspect parts of the sensor can be functional or even functional at all are yet to be determined. There might be a Vitality hack to improve video quality but I doubt he will enable the full multi-aspect ratio sensor, or if its even possible

5. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Beat ya'! :biggrin:

6. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    You forgot to mention the GH2 never uses all 18MP of the sensor, ever :p.

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    DOH! :eek:

8. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    Firmware "update" released for G5.... Now wishing for the aforementioned hack. :rolleyes::frown:

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Dig it! Saw that today on DPReview's front news page. This should allow Vitally to work the necessary "magic" now. This was what was needed to move forward.

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! Sorry, grew up in the 60's...

11. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    If I could get the full 16mp in 3:2 mode with my G5, that would be glorious!! I'd be shocked if Vitaly or anyone else takes the time to make that happen though.

12. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    He's made it clear a number of times that for the most part his hacks unlock capabilities already latent rather than expanding on them. For instance, if the base code doesn't support the multi-aspect sensor AT ALL, that's a much bigger hack to accomplish than to just unlock a video mode capability that has been limited by the firmware (like the Venus video capabilities he's so famous for unlocking).

I'd like to use the full sensor as well, but I'll settle for additional video capability as the camera serves me well for still unhacked, lol.

Wish it had external audio input though...

13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I went over to personal-view BBS last night and it may be awhile after all -- unless someone donates a G5 to Vitaly. He doesn't have one and says he's busy with a few things right now. I imagine the GH3 will be a hack priority actually over the G5, but I hope it gets worked on.

If I could stand to be without mine I might make it a test mule.

14. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Let's wait and hope one day the hack comes around

15. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    How'd you get the little dots in your signature? I like that and I'd like to copy it if you don't mind?

Oops, nevermind. Figured it out, thanks.

16. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    You figured it out faster than I've read your post.
    Sure, no, problem, it is not copyrighted :)

Is there a Oly 75mm f/1.8 missing on your signature?

17. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Sold it to my buddy who is a retired portrait photographer. I am using the 35-100mm f/2.8 instead.

18. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    That Oly 75mm is on my wish list.
    But I also would like a manual Canon FD 300mm f/4 L, for bird photography.
    I'm not very happy with my Pany 100-300.

19. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Will Crockett had a video about that lens. He was going to sell his when somebody told him not to shoot it all the way at 300mm but to back it off to around 280mm or so. He said it sharpened up nicely there and he decided to keep it. If you haven't you might try that if sharpness is the issue.

20. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Yes, in fact sharpness is the issue.
    I read that it peaks its best around f/8, so I'm trying to always shoot at f/7.1 or f/8 with this lens.
    But because I don't want to risk blurred images I usually set the speed to around 1/500 or more. That makes me have to push ISO to no less than 400 or 500 so that I don't end with darker pictures.
    I'm going to try not to shoot at the extreme 300mm, but's its a shame that I can't get closer to the little feathered creatures because of this limitation.
    In the end I got a bit grainy pictures because I have to crop a little more.

In my country it's not easy to get the wanted second hand Canon FD 300mm f/4 L, but I will patiently wait for the opportunity.