G5 gripe or 2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kiwi Paul, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Much as I love the G5 I wish Pany would make all the buttons selectable Fn buttons with all options available.
    I like to use AFL but find the AE/AF Fn1 button in the wrong place for that use and would prefer to assign the 'Disp' button but it's not assignable, so Fn2 button is the next best option, you can assign every function to it.....except AEL/AFL and the same for the Fn3 button, Arrrgh!!!
    Better to just have an option to half press the shutter button to set AEL/AFL and not a separate button at all (like Oly etc).

Next minor gripe, ISO goes up to 12800 but auto ISO only to 3200, that's all it allows you to go to in options.

And why not allow auto ISO to be selectable in 'M' mode (like Oly do)?

The G3 was pretty much the same and I commented about it then too and was hoping the G5 would address these.

Oh well, still a great camera but......I do find these things irritating.

Paul

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Thanks Paul, I'm relieved. I'm used to the AEL/AFL operation since the G1, I don't know any better :smile:. Indeed it would be nice if Auto ISO wouldn't be limited to 3200 and an option to use it in Manual exposure mode would be very welcome. In fact the GH2 has the same features c.q. lack thereof. Probably the upcoming GH3 will still be the same :frown:.

3. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Can you explain what functionality you want? I don't understand what you can't do. Other than AFL/AEL being in the wrong place for you (I think it's in just the right place personally) I can focus and set exposure independently from focus and a half shutter press sets AEL/AFL...

I agree with your other issues (auto ISO in M is exactly the same as the 5D2 I've just sold which was corrected in later cameras....)

Another issue for me would be to disable the thumbwheel press whilst in the Q menu. I'd like to be able to just use the thumbwheel for moving along the menu, the front lever only for moving along the items in the submenu.

Another would be to be able to assign the front lever to something other than the exposure control (aperture/shutter for example). Again, the ability to disable the thumbwheel depress would be excellent - I'm forever pressing it when I don't mean to.

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    So the default for a half-press on the shutter release is not to lock focus and exposure?

5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, that's why I'm confused too....

6. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    What I like to do is use the AFL (auto focus lock) function on a camera to set the focus then you can recompose and the exposure is set when you take the photo.
    Say I have some dark rocks in the foreground I want to have in focus and I'm not so concerned about the sunlit background focus then I'd set the focus on the rocks then recompose to the whole scene and take the picture. (If I was to set the focus and exposure on the rocks then the rest of the picture would be over exposed.
    With an Oly camera with AFL enabled all I need to do is half press the shutter button which sets the focus, then recompose, the camera will now show the exposure for the whole scene and press the shutter to take the photo. With a Pany camera half pressing the shutter locks exposure and focus, if you want to use AFL you have to use one of the Fcn buttons, either hold it in to lock focus or it can be set to press and lock focus until you press it again to reset it. Half pressing the shutter now sets the exposure.
    The Oly method is much easier.

Paul

7. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Now I understand - thanks for clarifying. It's just an ease of use thing as opposed to unable to do it (which is how I was reading it)...