1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G5, generics and indicators

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by woof, Feb 11, 2013.

1. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Any experience with G5 and generics? Does the battery indicator work correctly? Have used Wasabi in my GH2 forever with no ill effect other than loss of indicator. Have heard indicator may work on G5 with generics. Would love to save a little money as Wasabis are a perfect fit and seem to be stable, well made cells.

Thanks in advance.

Woof!

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  3. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    I dont know where abouts you guys live but the UK Panasonic Lifestyle website are currently offering 3 batteries at a very reasonable price.
    You have to register with the site to find the deal though.

[​IMG]

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have 2 wasabis as backup for my G5. Indicators seem to work fine but I don't really pay much attention until it blinks red anyway.

5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Thanks all.

Retroglide... it's about time you fellow over there caught a break! Thanks for the infor. may see something like that come our way soon too....

woof!

6. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Thanks woof :smile:

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If it blinks red then the indicator is working. On batteries that the indicator is not working you do not get any indication.

8. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I can't speak for the G5 (which I do need to get another battery for), but from my experience with Canon and Nikon systems, I would not buy an off-brand battery. I've never had good luck with generic batteries for my cameras, and would rather put some extra $$$ towards an OEM battery and avoid the aggravation.

My next battery for the G5 will be a genuine Panasonic. Just my 2 cents.

9. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I've had the opposite experience. I've owned 3rd party batteries for all my numerous cameras over the years, I've never had a problem, and some of my Canon batteries have started to lose capacity before the 3rd party ones. As with all things, common sense applies - don't buy from an unknown vendor, or one with poor ebay feedback, don't buy the ones that are suspiciously half the price of all the others etc.

10. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    i use a Wasabi battery as a spare for my G5, and so far it has worked fine.

--Warren

11. Acliff

Acliff Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    Thanks Retroglide, that is a great deal on Panasonic batteries, 2 ordered just now!

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have had a good experience with generics. I usually buy a couple, which is still much cheaper than OEMs, and even if they don't last quite as long they get me through the day if needed. After all, they don't take up that much room in the bag. My experience is based on the G3.