G5 function button settings are not persistent

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by njbirder, Jun 7, 2013.

1. njbirder

njbirder New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2013
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Setting the Function Buttons Fn1, Fn2 and Fn3 is easy on the G5. For Fn1 and Fn3, I first use the Custom Menu to change them to the function use, then assign the specific setting. However, the settings for all 3 buttons on my camera are lost when I shut off the camera. Next time I turn it on, the buttons have magically returned to their default states.

Is there something else I need to do?
    Does my camera need a software upgrade?

Thanks, Tom

2. Uberkul

Uberkul Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 15, 2012
    Wilseyville, CA
    Brad
    You have to go to page 1 of 8 of Cust.Set Mem and save those settings for each C1-C2-3. They should hold once assigned for all the regular program settings (PASM) though.

3. njbirder

njbirder New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2013
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Thanks! Of course I was stupidly leaving the camera in C1 when I set the buttons, and then shutting off and turning on again, still in C1.

4. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    we all need to keep on learning.

That was the advantage of film cameras, a given model stayed around for several years, before they came out with a new model. I have been using the G3 for over a year now, and I am still finding how to do things. But because I liked the camera, and I really didn't want to keep changing how I had to set a camera up, when the price dropped so low, I bought a second G3. They are both set up the same way, but one has the 20 mm mounted to it, and the other the 25 mm. I only carry one camera at a time, and so I try to make up my mind before I leave the house, which I will use.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I know I am being a PITA, but don't you mean "consistent?"

6. njbirder

njbirder New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2013
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    No, I really meant "persistent". The problem was that the button settings did not persist (=remain the same) after turning the camera off and then back on again. In any case, problem solved by uberkul.