G5 from G2 with 14-140. Any users?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by theoldfella, Oct 23, 2012.

1. theoldfella

theoldfella New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2012
    Southern England
    First post from a newbie who's just discovered this forum!:smile:

I'm very tempted to upgrade my G2 to the G5 but I do like my 14-140.

My questions are - is the G5 a worthwhile upgrade from the G2 in terms of IQ and general performance? Also will the 14-140 be too heavy for the G5 (I tried it on a G3 once and hated it!) as a walk-around lens?

Thanks in anticipation.
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I haven't used a G5, so I guess you can take this with a grain of salt. But:

I had a G2 and have a GH2, which uses the same sensor as the G5. The IQ of the GH2 is noticeably better, IMHO, especially at higher ISOs. The G5 processing appears to be tweaked to make it even better than the GH2, especially for jpegs.

As for handling, I agree with you about the G3, but the G5 appears to be much more like the G2/GH2, with a reasonably large grip and more external controls. I think it will be fine with the 14-140.

If I were still using my G2 as a primary body, I think I would be planning to upgrade to either the G5, GH2, or wait and see what the GH3 offers.

But I think you should ask yourself what it is about the G2 that limits you, or that you don't like. Will any of the newer cameras address that? If you can't come up with an answer to the first question, or the answer to the second question is no, then save your money (or spend it on a new lens).
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yep the IQ and handling are a big step up. I am a big advocate of the g1/2 and especially the grip..but now that i have the g5, it really is a pain to go back. The ergonomics are much improved, especially with big and heavy lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I've not used a G2 but the G5 is a big improvement over the G3 for ergonomics, battery life, and it seems to me like the screen and EVF are better as well. I'm not the pickiest about heavier lenses since I'll use the 14-140 or 100-300 on my GX1 but I know what you mean about the G3, it wasn't very comfortable with a large lens. The G5 is a completely different animal and the most comfortable of the cameras I've used yet (GF2 -> G3 -> GX1 -> G5).

Combined with the improvements in IQ, noise performance, and overall usage since the G2 I think you'll find it a pleasant upgrade all around.
  5. johnwb

johnwb New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2010
    West Sussex, England
    Hi theoldfella

The G-5 is very similar to the G-2 but slightly smaller. The 14-140mm sits very well on this body in a similar fashion to the way it feels on the G-2. The G-3, I would agree was a differnet animal and only really suited to the 'primes' or a lighter type of 'zoom'. The 14-140mm mounted on this body was not comfortable. You should have no problkems with a 14-140mm mounted on a G-5.

I stay in the Horsham district of Southern England. You are welcome to come and 'try' if you wish. Not sure where you are though.
  6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I have used the 14 - 140 on all of the bodies I have owned - GH1, G3,GX1 etc
    It is the one lens that I like to have in my 'arsenal' that I wouldnt want to be without due to its range and versatility with video aswell as with stills
    As such I am always happier when that lens feels at home / comfortable to use on any body I get
    I actually found the lens sat quite nicely on the G3 although I did always have a slight feeling of insecurity due to the lack of a substantial grip
    However the G5 is far better in that respect having a very DSLR like Grip
    With the G5 I could very confidently carry the camera one handed with the 14 -140 attached wrapping my fingers very securely around the grip whilst I walk around with just a substantial wrist strap
    The 14 - 140 G5 combination also has the benefit of looking very 'purposeful'
    There are many improvements in IQ, handling and useability on the G5 over the G2
    As soon as I picked up a G5 i was a convert
    The 'Touchpad' facility is a particularly worthwhile improvement - being able to move the ocus points by touch on the LCD whilst looking through the VF - inspired idea !
    The grip on the G5 is far more comfortable - I always felt that the G2 / Gh1/2 grip was a litle uncomfortable being too 'hard' and cramped
    The G5 is much 'softer' and much more tactile in the hand
    I think that most others if you make the jump you would be very happy and would feel unable to go back
    I have this week sold my G5 on ebay only because I have taken delivery of a GH3 which is 'even more of the same' as you get with the G5 ergonomically