G5 for basic video?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RickVaughn, Sep 2, 2013.

1. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I recently bought into the Pentax system, but still have my EPL1 and a few lenses. I've been looking into a camera with decent video qualities and was wondering if anyone would recommend the G5 as a low cost starting point now that the prices have come down? I'll be recording mostly dance and choir performances and family stuff here and there to start...

2. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Please, before the dedicated camcorder suggestions, I'd also like to try some manual Pentax glass for stills and video as well.

3. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Funny you should mention it, I just posted a similar query in the "Film Making" forum here! :smile:

4. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    in that thread someone said the G5 doesnt have a manual mode for video.

for those types of performances, perhaps mic control will be useful. I would find out if your epl or g5 have manual mic levels or can take an external mic.

you should be able to get good video with some legacy lenses and shutter priority mode at 1/60s.

G5+legacy glass means no stabilization. so you might want to consider a solution if you plan to shoot handheld.

5. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    the video quality of a g5 is very good it only shoots 60p and 30p video mode isn't full manual and there is no mic jack.

how bout g6 if you need full manual control of video if not g5 is very good

6. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I'd love a G6 with all of its additional features, but there's about a $500 difference in price currently. I was actually considering the G5 as a starting point and perhaps the G6 or GH3 as a follow up if things go well.

7. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    For what it's worth, I shoot video with a G2. The main difference between that and the G5 is that the G5 shoots Fullhd, the G2 720 only. But they both lack manual mode as mentioned. For my family stuff, to me this is fair enough until I buy a new body someday, but I definitely prefer manual. The problem is that - while the video results can look great - it may start to search when the camera or subject moves. So at one point it calculates light on the shadow of the cheek, and then on the light side. If you can cut around it, or it is ok if this happens once in a while, the G5 should give you excellent results. By the way, if you wish to record a choir, the audio is more important than the image anyway. An external microphone would be excellent.

8. BrittonPatrick

BrittonPatrick  

Sep 2, 2013
    new york city
    bump !

9. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Get a 2nd hand GH1 if you are into filming, it got all the manual controls for video, multi-aspect ratio sensor and hack make it even better

10. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    I've shot a number of short videos in the G5 and find the lack of mic input, or manual level control, not to be a real limitation. In fact, with any creative endeavor having purposeful restrictions often induces a heightened sense of creativity as you discover work-arounds.

Especially for video I find the use of manual-focus ("legacy") lenses can give a very film-like feel to the production, especially if you're skilled in manually "pulling" focus. It also gives you manual control of the aperture.

If you really need location sound, like a lavalier mik on a distance character, just use a stand-alone audio recorder (which can be had for less that the difference in price between a G5 and a higher-end camera) and dub the sound in during post-production. A clap-board comes in handy to assist in sync up between the two tracks.

Another tip with the G5: you notice the two stereo miks are located just forward of the hotshoe mount? Fashion a small sound reflector disc that fits in to the hot shoe and bounces sound down to the miks, it will give you some enhanced degree of forward directionality. There are always work-arounds required, which is an essential skill needed in film production. Don't let someone talk you into needing to buy the highest end gear before you can make videos. Just get out there and shoot.

And actually, if a person was really serious about film making, you wouldn't be buying your own camera, but renting a much higher-end format camera as needed.

~Joe