1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 Focusing tips

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by arbutusq, Apr 9, 2013.

1. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I recently got the G5 for my birthday to replace my old G10 and I love it, but I was out shooting herons yesterday and found that the AF would pick branches, leaves, anything but the birds....I tried Multi area AF, Center point, Pinpoint, everything, but I lost probably 75% of my pics. I know the G5 isn't a wildlife cam but surely it can do better!!!

Any advice on improving the ratio?

2. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I've been using G1s and a G3 for bird photos for a few years now, and just yesterday got a G5. This isn't really a G5-specific problem, but I know where you're coming from.

For bird photos, I always use single-point AF with the box set to the smallest possible size. Wherever possible, I focus on the bird's eye (and, if necessary, recompose while holding that focus). I wouldn't bother with multi-point AF for wildlife--it's too likely that the camera will pick the wrong subject. I haven't tried pinpoint focus on the G5 yet on a live subject.

I'd suggest that you try setting the camera on single-point with the smallest box and practice on a few small things that don't move (street signs, etc.). Then try some big birds like the herons. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

PinPoint works for me

PinPoint AF will nail any subject, dead on.
    While I'm not a bird photographer, I've used Pinpoint mode and selected small object within complex fields. Never an issue. Just remember to accurately place the Pinpoint target on your subject.

4. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Thanks for the advice folks. I love the pinpoint AF but it is lousy when the bird takes off...;( I am also still not used to the zoom in focus box. It zooms in and zooms out then for the next shot zooms in again...I might have to switch my AE lock button to AE and AF.

As to changing the size of the center AF point, I didn't know it was possible. I think I have to go back and re read the manual.

When we get our next day without rain I'll try these things.

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay

Yeah, pinpoint focus works for slow moving objects, not so much birds in flight. I used it for most of my wildlife photos in Alaska successfully, but bears rarely take off and fly through the air :biggrin:

Your best bet is probably smallest size focus box using center point and recompose. You'll likely lose some shots regardless, but such is life with CDAF and inadequate tracking focus on moving subjects.

To shrink the size of the focus box, all you have to do is:

1) get it into the focus selection menu
    2) choose "1-Area"
    3) click down on the direction pad for "AF Area"
    4) use the scroll wheel to adjust the size