1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G5 focusing continuously

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sdeban, Sep 8, 2012.

1. sdeban

sdeban Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    I just got a Lumix G5 and it's fantastic, but oddly it is always trying to focus, regardless of the various focus settings I select in the menu. The only way to make it stop is to put it in manual focus (MF). If I put it down on the table, for example, and it is has nothing to focus on it will try to focus continuously until it goes to sleep. I don't recall my GX1 doing this and wonder if this is normal. Seems like it would drain the battery quicker than necessary.

2. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    One of the custom setup menus perhaps (there are a number of modes where it will focus if you bring it to your eye for example)

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    One thought:

Check the setting for Quick AF in the menu. Should be set to Off.

4. sdeban

sdeban Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Yes, checked but settings don't seem to matter

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have tried on and off for eye sensor focus, quick af, touch pad focus, tried AFS, AFF, AFC, turned off video continuous focus, and it always tries to focus unless it's in MF, off, or sleeping. Weird.

I'd appreciate if someone else who has a G5 or another G camera like a GX1 could check if theirs does this as well. Mine has a Leica 45mm macro lens on it.

5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I have a G5 and mine doesn't do this.

6. sdeban

sdeban Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Oops. It is Quick AF

I thought I checked this, but Quick AF was on, and turning it off stopped this behavior. Thanks. Now I like my G5 better.