G5 focus selection question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DynaSport, Jan 4, 2015.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I have found that for my shorter lenses I most often use the screen to compose my shots, but on my longer lenses I go back to using the EVF. Since I just bought an P100-300, I am using the EVF more and more. And in doing that I have discovered that I don't know how to do something I do all the time when composing with the screen. That is moving the focus point around. I normally use one box focus mode and I can just touch the screen to move it to where I want the focus to be. I can't find a way to do then when I am composing on the EVF. I had heard that even when using the EVF, you could move the focus point around on the screen, but touching the screen when I have the camera to my eye doesn't do anything. What am I doing wrong or missing?
    Thanks

2. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    To enable the touchpad feature, press the menu button and go into 'Custom Menu'. Scroll through the options until you get to Touch Settings. Enter this option and you'll find an option called 'Touch Pad AF. Set this to on and you'll be able to move the AF point around by touching the LCD when using the EVF.

The problem I find with this option is that I often move the focus point with my nose, so I've switched it off. What I've done is mapped the F3 button (EVF/LCD, I dont use this feature as I have the sensor enabled) to 'Focus Area Set. When I have the camera up to my eye, I can call up the focus area select with the F3 button and position it with the D pad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Thanks PeeBee. I was playing with the camera and learned I can go into the set AF mode by pressing left on the wheel, then down and then I can move the AF box. Not as simple as it was on my Canon, but on the Canon I had fewer discreet AF sensors. I think I can adapt to this OK, and I do think it will be better for me than using the LCD, as I can see myself accidentally moving the selection around quite often. I occasionally change settings by accident as it is.

4. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Just a thought but to solve the 'nose focus point selection' problem, have you tried swivelling the screen out to the side? It's just as easy to select the focus point using the touch screen when in that position. The only time I have my screen flipped and seated back against the body is when I'm shooting a video clip. Anyhoo, it works for me. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Nope, never tried that. Might give it a shot sometime if I don't like using the wheel method.

• Like Like x 1