G5 flash menu disabled in most shooting modes?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gsk3, Nov 21, 2013.

1. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    My (used) new G5 just arrived. Very exciting.

I can't get the flash to turn on in any mode but C1/C2 though. From reading the manual, it looks like I should be able to turn on the flash myself in PSAM, but they don't work. The flash menu is disabled (greyed out and skipped over as I scroll through), regardless of how I attempt to access it (quick menu, full menu). When I flip from C1 to M the icon on the rear LCD goes from flash-on (the lightning bolt) to flash-off (the bolt with a circle-slash through it), even without changing settings.

I've tried popping up the pop-up flash, tried a third-party flash (manual, not auto), and nothing works.

Is this a known problem? Is there something about the interface I don't know about? This is my third Panasonic m43 camera (after a G1 and GF3), so I'm comfortable with the way Panny "thinks."

Help?

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 All-Pro

If the camera has an electronic shutter mode, flash is disabled. In that case, disable the electronic shutter. Otherwise, just do a reset from the tool menu. Some features cannot be used with the flash, so it's disabled

3. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Oh that makes sense. Thanks!

I'd read "flash disabled with electronic shutter" three times since getting the camera last night, and I saw the electronic shutter was turned on, but I didn't connect the dots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.