G5 flash menu disabled in most shooting modes?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gsk3, Nov 21, 2013.

1. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    My (used) new G5 just arrived. Very exciting.

I can't get the flash to turn on in any mode but C1/C2 though. From reading the manual, it looks like I should be able to turn on the flash myself in PSAM, but they don't work. The flash menu is disabled (greyed out and skipped over as I scroll through), regardless of how I attempt to access it (quick menu, full menu). When I flip from C1 to M the icon on the rear LCD goes from flash-on (the lightning bolt) to flash-off (the bolt with a circle-slash through it), even without changing settings.

I've tried popping up the pop-up flash, tried a third-party flash (manual, not auto), and nothing works.

Is this a known problem? Is there something about the interface I don't know about? This is my third Panasonic m43 camera (after a G1 and GF3), so I'm comfortable with the way Panny "thinks."

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

If the camera has an electronic shutter mode, flash is disabled. In that case, disable the electronic shutter. Otherwise, just do a reset from the tool menu. Some features cannot be used with the flash, so it's disabled
  3. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Oh that makes sense. Thanks!

I'd read "flash disabled with electronic shutter" three times since getting the camera last night, and I saw the electronic shutter was turned on, but I didn't connect the dots.