G5 electronic shutter not consistently silent

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Micah, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Micah

Micah New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2013
    Hi all -- I bought the G5 last week for one reason: the electronic shutter. (I believe the GH3 and the G5 are the largest-sensor digital cameras that can be operated completely silently; I do a lot of low-light concert and church photography.)

But I can't get the e-shutter to remain consistently silent, and before I send the camera in to Panasonic or send it back (B&H), I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I suspect it's camera malfunction because the e-shutter is silent sometimes and not other times even when I change no settings at all, but I won't rule out "operator" malfunction!

Details: In the menus I have e-shutter turned on, and in the Beep menu I have sound for the e-shutter x'd off. I've seen that the e-shutter is most likely to be silent when camera is in "P" mode and the "Ia" button is on, but both of those settings are unacceptable for my photography (see first paragraph). I can fire off plenty of silent shots in P+Ia mode, and merely turning off the Ia or switching it from P to A, S, or M causes the shutter noise to start up again. Or I could be shooting silently in P+Ia mode, and then merely tipping the camera down or tipping it upward can cause the shutter noise to start up again.

I consulted the full manual online (p. 156 of http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/17521-DMCG5_ADV.PDF). And I read this helpful thread: https://www.mu-43.com/f43/panasonic-g5-electronic-shutter-review-36669/. I have tested it extensively in MF mode so I know I'm not hearing focusing noises; it's a very distinct double-click. I have 5 Panasonic m4/3 lenses, and this erratic behavior happens with all of them.

Is my G5 malfunctioning? Am I missing something forehead-slappingly obvious? Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you kindly in advance.
  2. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Why not setup one of the funtion keys for e shutter?

I have Fn2 key set up to the electronic shutter funtion.
    Or setup a Custom setting (such as C1) that includes the eshutter
    Hope this helps
  3. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    sure sounds like a malfunction g5

when eshutter is set in any modes other than the custom ones...it doesn't reset/change on its own even when you change shooting modes
  4. Micah

Micah New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2013

OK, dwrk, thanks; guess there's no indication that it isn't a camera malfunction. Was hoping it wasn't and just wanted to be sure....

Guess I'll send the camera back; thanks again. M
  5. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    Before you send it back, please describe what kind of sound the e-shutter is making.

FYI, since the e-shutter is non-mechanical (i.e. it reads the signal in serial order directly off the sensor in real-time, not using a mechanical curtain shutter mechanism at all), there's no sound to be made by the e-shutter itself.

Is what you're describing the faux-shutter sound that the camera can be set to provide?

Also, could what you're hearing be related to the lens making some sort of auto-focusing noise?

When you change modes to P, A, S or M and you hear the noise, go back into the menu and make certain that the faux-shutter sound feature is still turned off. I've found each mode can have its own settings, and the settings you have with P+iA may not be the same as P, A, S or M.
  6. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    I have used the eshutter on my G5 in both iA, A, and S modes and have switched them on the fly and it has always been completely silent.
  7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    It's your lens. The e-shutter is electronic, it won't make a mechanical sound. Which lens are you using. Some noisy lenses like the PL25 will have it's aperture open and close rapidly, making some noise.
  8. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    The E-Shutter is completely silent

Hi Micah, The E-Shutter never makes a sound. If you hear a sound it is coming from somewhere else. It is highly unlikely that there is any problemm with your camera. In the Setup Menu>Beep> See two submenus, Beep Volume and E-Shutter Vol. Set E-Shutter Vol to Off. The only noises the camera will make now are all from the lens. The OIS makes a constant grinding sound when on (and with some lenses also when it is off), autofocus makes a little "zip" sound and the lens aperture makes a double "Chp-Chp" sound as it closes then opens again for the next shot. The volume of the lens aperture sound varies from one lens to the next. With some lenses (such as the 12-35mm) this sound is eliminated by shooting with the aperture wide open. But with others (such as the 14-45mm) the sound is absent at the wide end (f3.5) but present at the long end (f5.6). Go figure. In most photographic situations thse sounds are audible only to the person very close to the camera.
  9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Some cameras "memorize" certain settings by mode dial position. So you might want to verify that the silent shutter really is enabled in P,A,S or M so that when you switch from P-iA some kind of reset isn't happening.

You say you've shot in manual mode, but I guess you don't have any manual focus lenses and adapters that the camera can't control the aperture on?

The reason I ask is that it very well could be the aperture slap. Usually only happens on Oly bodies but some Panasonic lenses are famous for this and your "tilt up and down" comment seems to suggest this.

Basically, the aperture adjusts to a "comfortable" opening for the live view and changes with light level. When you go to fire the shot, the aperture changes rapidly to the shooting aperture, then back to the live view position. Depending on the difference between the live view aperture and the shooting aperture this sudden change can make a noticeable noise. Obviously it will be worse with some lenses than others.

Since nothing other than the aperture moves when you use silent shutter, it's hard to see how the camera could suddenly make noise unless it is the lens.
  10. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012

...thinking about this further...it IS a rather strange failure/behavior...perhaps you can shoot a video of the problem and upload it so folks here can better help diagnose...i'd retest it without a lens and with all sound turned off...that way it will be just the shutter if/when it "reactivates"...

alternately find a shop that has a G5 take it there and compare...

hope it works out well...the G5 is a great cam...