G5 & dark video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BillW, Jan 10, 2013.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Shooting with a new G5 and kit lens, when I push the video record button, my screen gets noticeably darker and appears under-exposed while recording.

When I stop recording, the screen brightens up again.

I am trying different settings and have reset all defaults, but cannot determine why this is happening.

It's only doing this while recording video. Stills are fine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Max Iso is 1600. Min speed is 1/30 for ntsc units. Any scene darker will underexpose.

No Evf/Lcd gain boost when shooting video...Wysiwyg...gain always on auto when shooting pic. That's why changes bright/dark.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    Keep in mind that when you shoot video the lens must be stopped down all the time. When not shooting video your lens is wide open. Since the sensor is what the camera uses for your LCD/EVF you see a darker image while shooting video. In reality when you are not shooting video your LCD/EVF is brightened artificially to give you an easier time to compose shots. The camera tries to make the LCD/EVF as bright as possible when shooting stills. For an experiment, try looking through the EVF in a bright room at home at night then have someone turn off lights gradually. You can watch as the camera compensates for the changing brightness. This is something it cannot do while shooting video

• Like Like x 1
  4. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    Your camera is working as designed. Mine does the same thing.

5. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    the camera adjusts this automatically...if its dark enough it keeps it open and not stopped down at all...

6. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    After reading the fine print in Panasonic's G5 advanced instruction manual, I found a couple of quotes from page 54 that may be useful to all:

"The [Sensitivity] will be set to [AUTO] (for motion pictures) when recording motion pictures. Also, the [ISO Limit Set] will not operate."

Program AE Mode, Aperture-Priority AE Mode, Shutter-Priority AE Mode, Manual Exposure Mode records in Normal motion picture (this is where the dark video occurs in low-light for me)

[Clear in Backlight] (Scene Guide Mode) records in Portrait Mode

[Clear Nightscape]/[Artistic Nightscape]/[Clear Night Portrait] (Scene Guide Mode) records in Low Light Mode"

I have noticed about a 1-stop difference moving from P-A-S-M to 'clear night portrait' mode in the scenes. Disregard the message to pop up the flash and just shoot. It's a work-around.