1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G5 currently $500. OMD EM-5 still $1k. Is it worth the extra $500?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by burdickjp, Jun 27, 2013.

1. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    So I'm looking at getting my wife away from her Canons and into micro four-thirds. I have a PEN E-P2 which sees exclusively adapted lenses. I chose the Olympus for IBIS. The wife sees this as an advantage, but isn't interested in adapted lenses. When shopping, I saw the G5 is on sale for $500 with kit lens. For that price she could pick up an extra lens and still be cheaper than the OM-D E-M5. I've seen many people preferring the Olympus in a head-to-head comparison, but considering this, is the Olympus really $500 more camera? I have trouble believing it could be.
    We're looking at renting some cameras and glass for an upcoming museum and zoo day-trip. I'm looking to grab an E-P5 to play with while she grabs a G5.
    Any suggestions for what we should be paying attention to? I want to make sure she gets a good feel before deciding.
    We're looking at renting the Pany 8mm fisheye, 15-140, and 100-300.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It depends on what do wanna do ? But I don't think it's worth . G5 is a nice camera and u can pick up a prime lens with that 500 dollars . Having said that u can pick up used OMD for USD 650-750.
    Cheers

3. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    We do a lot of hiking, street photos, nature, museums, zoos, aquariums.
    She shoots a wedding every 9 months or so, and portraits about as often. That was the original intention for her Canons. Since we've been more active, they've been more of a burden to carry around, hence me trying to steer her to micro four-thirds.
    We've never done much video.
    I'm thinking for this excursion I will rent the OM-D E-M5 or E-P5 and bring my adapted lenses. That way she can get a feel for both manufacturer's ergonomics and see which she finds more intuitive for her.

My next concern, and likely outside of the scope of this discussion, is if a micro four thirds camera can displace her Canons for paying gigs. There's something which tells me people will be underwhelmed if they're paying and she shows up with small cameras. False perception, likely, but I would think a valid concern.

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If she get the G5 and a good prime the G5 can be used as a second body for the gigs.
    The DSLR look does give it the correct perception, and it small weight will enable her to carry it.

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have both and I like both. It's a hard question to answer and in my own opinion the cost difference is greater than you may think because I really think the EM-5 needs the expensive HLD-6 grip (horizontal portion only...obviously this is all IMHO/YMMV).

What would I say? Both are great cameras, both produce great files. The G5 is a raging bargain at current prices. The OM-D + HLD-6 is worth the cost. I know that's probably not much help... :redface:

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    What models of Canon does she have now and how attached to the DSLR form is she?

7. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I have the em5 and the hld6.

It's a wonderful camera but in my opinion without the hld6 the camera is horrible in terms of grip.

Not OK, not mediocre. Bad. Plain bad.

One hand shooting without the grip? Not fun at all.

Had the g5 been available when I bought the em5 about a year ago and at such price differences I think I wouldn't even consider the em5.

But having one all gripped I wouldn't want to switch to a g5 now.

And by the way - I only use the vertical part of the grip except when shooting events. That's the ONLY time I use both parts and it does help when having a big flash mounted on the camera.

8. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    That being said the G5 isn't worth $500 anymore, you can them brand new for $400, and a used kit for around $300. So that puts the price difference right back to where OP started. I would definitely go for the G5 and get some good glass. But if the DSLR gear is sold, a OMD with good glass is more then sufficient for doing portraits, depending on photog skill(no offense intended), probably weddings too.

9. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    She has three bodies; an XTi, XSi, and T3i, I don't off the top of my head remember what lenses she has. I'd say two kits, a short telephoto, and a Tamron which goes from wide to rather long. She likes to use that at wedding receptions and hiking, as she finds it easy to quickly frame a shot. Hence renting the 14-140. She doesn't own any primes. Nothing particularly expensive.
    I'm leaning toward the G5. Does it still not do proper multi-aspect? It looks like for rather inexpensively we can put her into a few GOOD lenses. I'd like to see her pick up a portrait prime and start enjoying it, preferably something manual. Using zooms for portraits is no bueno.

I'm trying to move us toward a single family. In the near future having it as a second body does sound like a good idea, but the eventual goal is to have both of us using and enjoying micro four-thirds, sharing lenses, pooling money for expensive ones, etc.

The G5 is really sounding like an AMAZING deal at that price. Wherr are we seeing body-only for less than $500?

10. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Just remember these m43 bodies are far inferior when it comes to continuous focus so she might have a difficult time in her transition.

For a portrait prime, she can start with the 45mm f/1.8. I would say that's one of the cheapest, nicest portrait lens around as far as feedback from users go.

11. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    If you buy used, there are some on this forum.

https://www.mu-43.com/f17/panasonic-g5-body-black-location-usa-ships-usa-46967/

ebay has them new as well this one is a buy it now for $325

Panasonic Lumix DMC G5 16 0 MP Digital Camera Black Body Only New 885170098794 | eBay

Here are all the buy it now on ebay, most of them are under $400

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i.html?LH_ItemCondition=3&_nkw=panasonic+g5&LH_BIN=1

12. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The G5 should be much better than the XTi and the XSi and equal to or slightly better than the T3i -- but in a smaller package. And the G5 is better for video. I'd go with the G5 over the OM-D given the price difference -- in fact, that's what I did. :)

There's also the GH3 which is a step above the G5, T3i, and OM-D (though others may argue that point). It is pricey, but if she wants to use it professionally it is something to consider in the future -- the G5 and GH3 should complement each other nicely.

The best deal right now is Amazon offering the G5 + 14-42 for $499 and giving a $200 rebate on the 45-150: Buy a Panasonic G5KK Compact System Camera and Get $200 Off the Panasonic 45-150mm Lens

It's the same deal I got, and hte 45-150 is a great little telephoto lens. For $540 you get the G5 body, 14-42 lens, and 45-150 lens.

If you want to add some fixed primes, these are all good deals to start out with:

Portraits:
    Amazon.com: Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 Lens for Micro Four Thirds Cameras: Camera & Photo

Wide angle pancake (buy it used):
    Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix 14mm f/2.5 G Aspherical Lens for Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Cameras: Electronics

General purpose:

Sigma 19mm
    Amazon.com: Sigma 19mm f2.8 DN Lens (Micro FT): Electronics

or the older version that just looks cheaper:
    Amazon.com: Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN -Micro 4/3 400963: Electronics

13. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    If you sell the XTi and the XSi with their kit lenses, it might cover the cost of the G5 + 14-42 + 45-150 from Amazon...

14. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Easily!

15. judywisconsin

judywisconsin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Wisconsin
    In response to the guys talking about needing the grip, guys usually have larger hands than women. I have the OMD and love-love-love it - without the grip. The grip would make it too bulky for my hands. Just my opinion.

16. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    So! Amazon proved too tempting. Picked up the Rokinon fisheye, Pani 45-150, and G5. Should all be here before Monday. Thank you VERY much for enlightening to the sale. Hopefully she likes it!

17. edge

edge New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2013
    A

18. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    My husband and I both had a G5, but when we upgraded we went to and E-M1 & E-M10.
    The main reason...that multi-function dial on the G5. It drove my husband so nuts that he sold his and used the p&s for awhile. Seemed that he was never changing the setting that he thought he was.
    We are much more happy with the Olympus controls. Both are nice cameras. Which ever you chose, make sure you are happy with the ergonomics.

19. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Since someone resurrected this thread, I'll update it.
    We picked up the G-5, Pany 45-150, and Rokinon fisheye June of last year. My wife HATED the controls and menus. Could not find a thing, and found herself in shooting modes or with manual overrides with no recollection of how they happened. I found the menus frustrating enough to not want to help her. When the camera was set right it took great pictures, but she didn't like shooting with it because it frustrated her.
    Photography is a hobby for her. It should not be frustrating.

Over the holidays I saw Olympus had the E-M5 refurbs for around $550. I thought this was a great deal and convinced my wife to give the system one more try. We picked it up body only and bought the 12-50 used from a member here. She didn't much like the zoom on the lens, but was really enjoying the Olympus colors and the feel of the camera. We picked up a battery grip at Creve Coeur Camera in St. Louis. She likes the camera much better with the grip on than with it off, and I feel adding the full grip solves the 'professional photographer' stigma discussed earlier in this thread.
    Earlier this year we sold the G-5 with the kit lens. I picked up an E-P5 and Vf-4. We pooled our money for a 12-40 f/2.8 and a 75-300. My wife absolutely loves the lenses. The 12-40 is almost never off of her camera and she loves how far she can reach with the 300 with it being so light and compact.

I think we'll be happy with our current cameras for a long time, but when the price drops I think I'll grab her an EM-1 as a second body. She has always liked having two cameras to play with and with her preferring the grip to no grip I think it makes sense.