G5 Button problem

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Well, the other day my beloved G5 went bonkers. I had it at the beach, but it never got wet and I don't think the problem is related, unless a grain of sand got in and caused a problem later. I was standing on the back deck and took a picture of the sky. I put the camera down and picked it up a few minutes later to take another photo and discovered that it thinks the toggle button (I don't know the actual name of it, but is is the toggle button that I use to change exposure compensation) is pressed to the left when it is not. I have done everything I can think of to fix it. I have blown into the button area. I have repeatedly pushed the toggle left and right. I have turned the camera off. I have removed the battery. All to no avail. Any suggestions? And any idea how much it would cost to have it repaired? And if anyone has the number of Panasonic so I could call and ask them about repairing it, I'd much appreciate it.

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
This may only be a quick fix - if it works - but have you tried changing the function of the toggle switch?

Maybe if you change it to the zoom function and the lens you're using doesn't have power zoom then it might just disable it? Just a thought and good luck. :thumbup:

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, the other day my beloved G5 went bonkers. I had it at the beach, but it never got wet and I don't think the problem is related, unless a grain of sand got in and caused a problem later. I was standing on the back deck and took a picture of the sky. I put the camera down and picked it up a few minutes later to take another photo and discovered that it thinks the toggle button (I don't know the actual name of it, but is is the toggle button that I use to change exposure compensation) is pressed to the left when it is not. I have done everything I can think of to fix it. I have blown into the button area. I have repeatedly pushed the toggle left and right. I have turned the camera off. I have removed the battery. All to no avail. Any suggestions? And any idea how much it would cost to have it repaired? And if anyone has the number of Panasonic so I could call and ask them about repairing it, I'd much appreciate it.

Is it the (28) function lever?

image.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
That's the one I had in mind Gerard. I use it for exp comp as well. I hope I was providing a solution for the correct problem. :wink:

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
This may only be a quick fix - if it works - but have you tried changing the function of the toggle switch?

Maybe if you change it to the zoom function and the lens you're using doesn't have power zoom then it might just disable it? Just a thought and good luck. :thumbup:

I haven't tried that. It is something to consider. I'll have to see if it is possible, though, because when I went into the menu system, the camera kept toggling through options and wouldn't let me do anything.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I haven't tried that. It is something to consider. I'll have to see if it is possible, though, because when I went into the menu system, the camera kept toggling through options and wouldn't let me do anything.

The toggling you describe night be a moist (moisture) problem.
Solution: create a very dry place, using gelica gel

Good luck

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Well, it must have been a moisture issue and it seems to have resolved itself as of this morning. It took days to do it and I don't believe the camera got wet, but the air was very humid. My confidence level is not what it was, but I am very happy that it seems to be working again. I hope to replace this camera with a G7 at some point, but now was not the time. Thanks Gerard and ItchyBiscuit for the the replies.

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
Well, it must have been a moisture issue and it seems to have resolved itself as of this morning. It took days to do it and I don't believe the camera got wet, but the air was very humid. My confidence level is not what it was, but I am very happy that it seems to be working again. I hope to replace this camera with a G7 at some point, but now was not the time. Thanks Gerard and ItchyBiscuit for the the replies.

Glad your problem righted itself. I have my eye on the G7 too but in a couple of years - my G5 works wonderfully well in the meantime. :2thumbs:

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Well, I tried to take some pictures tonight and the button is messed up again. I'm bummed. I still have an old E-PM1 and I dug it out and used it. I am so used to the controls on my G5 though, that is was difficult to remember how to do things on the Oly. And it focuses slower and no touch screen and so many other things I am used to. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

Latest threads

Top Bottom