1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 Build Quality?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by snegron, Sep 7, 2014.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Last week while visiting a theme park in Orlando, FL, the unthinkable happened; my G5 slipped from my hands and hit the asphalt! :frown:
    It hit pretty hard causing a noticeable ding on the bottom plate of the body and chipped the outer area of the focusing ring of my 14-42mm lens.On a side note, I didn't know the bottom plate of the G5 was made of metal.

I turned the camera on and it seems to work fine. Problem is I know this camera was not meant to hit a hard surface the way it did, so I'm concerned with the possibility of internal damage. I would hate to be using it on some trip someday and the electronics simply stop working or some error message to pop up.

I have been thinking about buying another travel camera to replace my G5, but I really don't know if I might be wasting money if the G5 is still reliable. Sending it to Panasonic is not something I would consider as I have heard not too many positive things about their service. The only other lens I have for it is the 45-150 and a lens mount adapter that lets me fit my Nikon lenses on it. In other words, I don't have too much money invested into m4/3.

I am debating whether I should:

1. Risk using the G5 as my main travel camera.
    2. Buy a new camera to avoid any risks.

It would be way more cost effective for me to stick with option # 1, but I would hate to be on a family road trip and have my G5 fail on me. I do have older Nikon DSLRs, but they are extremely heavy. I only use them for local shooting. All of my Nikon lenses are either manual focus or AF-D which means they will not AF with newer "entry level" Nikon bodies. This means that I would have to buy an outfit with a kit lens.

p.s. I don't know if this is my imagination or not, but it seems to me that when I look through the viewfinder of my G5 and pan either up or down it doesn't pan as smooth as when looking at the rear LCD. I really can't remember if it was like this before the fall or not.

2. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    I don't see any troubles in your situation.
    My EPL2 dropped on the floor once too from chest height onto asphalt. Works just fine.
    I think it either shows the damage right away or won't show any.

3. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida

I'm concerned some problem or malfunction might pop up in the future as a result of the impact. Yes, I do agree with you regarding immediately noticeable problems, but there are so many calibration/precision internal functions in any of these digital cameras that can go out of specs and cause some problem. Hopefully I'm just overly concerned without reason; believe me, I don't want to spend money on new equipment at this time!

It would be nice if there were some sort of optional external rubber skin available for the G5.

4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    It's a Panasonic, you could probably take a bath with it, dry it out and it would come back for more. Worry less, enjoy life more. Worst case you lose a shot, pull out your cellphone and take pics. Maybe if you go on that once in a lifetime safari to Africa, bring a backup then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    This. Panasonic makes *very* well-machined gadgets - they've been at it for 96 years. The G5 may look and feel utilitarian, but it's not delicate by any means.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Chalk it up to experience and keep enjoying your camera. My GX1 looks like it has covered wars, it functions just like it should!

Incidentally I really do think Panasonic cameras have a giant edge over Olympus in this respect. Olympus makes very nicely designed gear but it feels over-engineered sometimes, and, yes, delicate.
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

7. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    About 2.5 months ago my G5 with my beloved 20 1.7 lens attached took what should have been an end-of-life, body mangling tumble from the back bumper of my truck as I swung around a corner going at least 10 miles per hour on a steep street.

The result? A couple scrapes and small dents along the body, and an ever so slightly looser LCD screen. This was also the one time that I forgot to store the flip-out with the screen side facing in, yet there was zero damage to the display. Both the G5 and 20 1.7 continue to work flawlessly. Needless to say, I was and still am completely amazed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida

Yikes! That sounds painful! Many years ago I had the same thing happen to me with a Pentax K1000 film SLR. I was driving halfway down the street when I heard the crashing sound. Miraculously, it too survived with just a few scrapes and dings.

Today my wife told me to just go out and get another camera. I "caved in" and purchased a Canon 3Ti kit with two lenses. I plan to continue to use the G5 until it dies, but for precautionary purposes it looks like my new T3i will be my main travel camera. The G5 will remain in the bag as I have finally gotten around to working through its menu system.

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Hmm, poor G5, hope it's feelings are as tough as its construction!
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

10. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    :D It will still tag along everywhere I go! Actually, I usually have a small Panasonic TS3 with me I carry everyday for "emergency shots", but the G5 will most likely take its place (except on extremely hot days or during rain storms). :)