G5 bracket shots - single button press vs. 3-7 button presses? [RESOLVED]

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kungfujoe, Aug 19, 2013.

1. kungfujoe

kungfujoe New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Erik Harris
    Is there any way to configure the Panasonic DMC-G5 so that bracket shots are automatically taken in rapid succession with a single press of the shutter button, like they do in my old point & shoot DMC-FZ50?

I like the broad range of bracket options, but they all seem to require one shutter button press per image. This seems like a poor design for a number of reasons. Each button press risks shaking the camera a bit (when not using a remote), causing spatial misregistration. Manual image sets will never be collected more quickly than automatic sets (I can't shoot every 167ms without inducing lots of jitter - the G5 can), inducing both spatial and temporal misregistration. If I'm trying to pay attention to my surroundings and my camera, remembering whether I've taken 6 or 7 shots from a bracket set (and therefore whether I'm starting a new bracket set with my next picture or not) can be challenging. Plus, if you're not paying close attention to the camera (settings and previews are easy to miss in bright sunlight), you may find yourself shooting over- and under-exposed pictures for awhile before realizing.

I'm sure there are situations where manual control of the timing of each photo in a bracket set is preferable, but it seems like it'd be a very small minority of situations. In most cases, I would think that getting the entire set collected as quickly as possible in the most stable manner possible would be strongly preferred.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    For me the auto bracket is working with one push of a button in a very fast pace.
    According to the user manual check that you did not set one of the following

• Auto Bracket is disabled in the following cases.
    – [Glistening Water]/[Glittering Illuminations]/[Soft Image of a Flower] (Scene Guide Mode)
    – [Miniature Effect]/[Soft Focus]/[Star Filter] (Creative Control Mode)
    –When White Balance Bracket is set.
    – When recording motion pictures
    – When recording using the flash
    – When [HDR] is set to [ON]

3. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    What a coincidence! Just yesterday I had this same problem and couldn't understand why I couldn't get the burst, but only single exposures. I messed around with the menus till I got it working. Under the Rec menu, go to "Auto Bracket" and be sure you select "Burst mode" under "Single/Burst Settings". Then directly above "Auto Bracket" is "Burst Rate" where you can select H, M or L. That did it for me. Good Luck.

4. kungfujoe

kungfujoe New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Erik Harris
    Thanks BigOwl! I don't recall seeing that setting at all, so it appears that it defaulted to single-shot mode for bracketing. It'd be kind of nice if it completed the full sequence whether I held the button down or not (like the FZ50), but that's a really minor difference to get used to.