1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 Body $239.99

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Grouse, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Grouse

Grouse New to Mu-43

Feb 26, 2011
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    G5 body from Roberts on Ebay $239.99. I would add the link but I don't know how.

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What an insanely good price! Too bad I don't need a DSLR form factor camera. :smile:

3. Captmatt

Captmatt Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    Homer, Alaska
    Matt Wilkens
    Olympus E-P3 with 17mm 2.8

Reconditioned PEN E-P3 with Olympus 17mm 2.8 lens-$256 for kit on Olympus USA web site under reconditioned cameras. Wow-killer deal

4. jhawk1000

jhawk1000 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    Kansas
    I bought the Panasonic G5 tonight for $239. I already have an Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42mm lens, 40-150 lens and a nikon adapter. I could buy an Olympus electronic viewfinder, VF-2 for $249 or the G5 for 239 and get the electronic viewfinder and a 16 megapixel camera. Will probably keep both to go with my Nikon D2x, D200, D700 and D600.

5. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I bought one a few weeks ago when they were this price for a few days. Then they went back to $329. I tell you, the longer I have the G5 the more I like it. My other camera is the Mini Pen and it is nice too, but it is so much easier for me to change settings on the G5, and I am finding the camera more responsive as well. I don't mind that the camera has a sdslr form factor. It is very comfortable to hold and use, much more so than my Mini Pen. I'd still love to try something like the EP-5 or even the E-PL5, but really I am very happy with the G5. My only real complaint has been the occasional poor job the auto white balance does indoors. But then other times it nails it. Shooting the same shots with the Olympus definitely produces a different look, which I think is primarily a white balance difference. I haven't bothered with trying a custom white balance yet. Maybe I should sometime. But all in all, I find myself gravitating more to the G5 now than the Mini Pen.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^
    By "Mini Pen" do you mean the E-PM1?

I find myself wanting to buy a G5 body for the price alone, but I don't "need" another camera, nor do I want to have to deal with yet another type of camera battery!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

7. harryz

harryz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Igor
    Yes, it's so sad. I have 3 panasonic cameras gf1, g3 and g5 and 3 types of batteries and charges.

8. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Yes, I mean the E-PM1. I bought it before the E-PM2 was available. It was my first exposure to u4/3 cameras and at first I didn't care for it because the controls are so different than what I was used to coming from a Canon 20D. I have avoided the Canon Rebels because even though they often have the same sensor, they have felt cheaper and are missing one dial the xxD models have. So, in retrospect the E-PM1 was probably not the best camera for me to buy.

Still, the E-PM1 is tiny and can take excellent photos. Changing some settings just takes more steps than I like. The G5 fixes that. Of course it is some bigger, but it is still not large at all and it still has the advantage of the very small u4/3 lenses. I think that is my favorite feature of u4/3, the small lenses. I just bought an O45 and I was amazed at how small it is compared to the Canon 85 1.8 it replaced for me.

9. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I've been trying to save up for an em5 eventually, but "almost as good" for a quarter the price is getting harder and harder to pass up.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks for the clarification. I too started in m43 with an E-PM1 (Cameta refurb). It was a great, inexpensive way for me to try out m43, but I too prefer more manual controls on the body. My first *digital* interchangeable lens camera was a Pentax Kx, and I loved it at first, but once I started leaving it home because it was too heavy and bulky with only two or three lenses, I looked into m43. I was amazed at how tiny the lenses are too! :smile:

11. SLOtographer

SLOtographer Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    California
    Stan
    G5 Time

It's a good time to pick up a G5. I picked one up for $249 last week via Amazon 3rd Party (Unique Photo). I haven't received it yet, but I used to own a GH2. Moving back into M43 more, after having been using Canon FF for a while (and still am using it).

I plan to pair the G5 with a 25/1.4 for stills to practice the 50mm focal length, and use it with a 14-140 for video. The only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is a mic input.

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    It's back up to $329 on Ebay, $299 on Amazon ... via Roberts.

13. citan

citan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2011
    Piscataway, NJ
    hows the G5 compare to the G3?
    I currently have the G3, wondering if it's worth updating for a few bucks

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The G5 has some nice improvements, but if you're satisfied with your G3, maybe waiting for the G6 to drop in price might yield more features like the focus peaking and OLED EVF.

15. citan

citan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2011
    Piscataway, NJ
    yeah pretty happy w G3, don't wanna upgrade for just incremental changes.
    better off investing in new lenses or flash...

16. johnnymg

johnnymg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Just learning the G5 cam and so for pretty happy with it. Other than focus/shot speed it seems to compare pretty well with my full size Nikon bodies. At sub $300 this cam is a REAL bargain!

cheers
    JohnG

17. harryz

harryz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Igor
    I have both and I like g5 much more. It has way better ergonomics. much better LCD screen. Electronic shatter. But I can't see difference in IQ.

Sent from my Desire HD using Mu-43 mobile app

18. citan

citan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2011
    Piscataway, NJ
    Do you think the G5 is worth a stop over G3?

I love taking low light/no flash pics using my 20mm. If I can get a extra stop out of the G5, I might upgrade.

19. alxdgr8

alxdgr8 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Missed out on the Robert's deal, but I picked one up from another seller on Ebay for $250. A nice upgrade from my GH1 (which I'll still be keeping). I do miss some of the manual controls, but for the price I can't complain at all.