1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G5 banding

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by suntoryjim, Apr 2, 2013.

1. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    My friend just bought a G5 (at my recommendation) and sent me the attached image (originally RAW) which I then converted to JPG in LR 4.3 with default settings.

ISO 1600 1/1600 f/1.8 Olympus 45mm 1.8

Only information I have as of now is that she has this issue with both the Oly 45 lens and the 14-42 Pana kit lens. She's obviously trying to test the high ISO performance of the camera given such a high shutter speed.

I've read a lot of about high ISO banding with the OM-D, but rarely anything at all regarding the G5.

I'm wondering if this is a combination of high ISO, florescent lighting (still need to confirm) and a high shutter speed. She's afraid the camera has a bad sensor.

What do you think this is caused by?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Were you under florescent lighting?

3. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Waiting to hear back from her on that.

4. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    I've seen this problem on occasion with my G5, every time it was in close proximity to a source of electronic noise. I wouldn't call it banding in the sense most people use the term to refer to sensor noise at high ISO. Best to avoid getting close to such sources of EMF.

~Joe

5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I think in this case it's caused by using the electronic shutter under artificial lighting, use the mechanical shutter to prevent this.

Paul

6. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Yup, that's what it was. :thumbup: