G5 banding

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by suntoryjim, Apr 2, 2013.

1. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    My friend just bought a G5 (at my recommendation) and sent me the attached image (originally RAW) which I then converted to JPG in LR 4.3 with default settings.

ISO 1600 1/1600 f/1.8 Olympus 45mm 1.8

Only information I have as of now is that she has this issue with both the Oly 45 lens and the 14-42 Pana kit lens. She's obviously trying to test the high ISO performance of the camera given such a high shutter speed.

I've read a lot of about high ISO banding with the OM-D, but rarely anything at all regarding the G5.

I'm wondering if this is a combination of high ISO, florescent lighting (still need to confirm) and a high shutter speed. She's afraid the camera has a bad sensor.

What do you think this is caused by?

Attached Files:

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Were you under florescent lighting?
  3. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Waiting to hear back from her on that.
  4. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    I've seen this problem on occasion with my G5, every time it was in close proximity to a source of electronic noise. I wouldn't call it banding in the sense most people use the term to refer to sensor noise at high ISO. Best to avoid getting close to such sources of EMF.

5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I think in this case it's caused by using the electronic shutter under artificial lighting, use the mechanical shutter to prevent this.

6. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Yup, that's what it was. :thumbup: