1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 annoying issue

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by svtquattro, Mar 25, 2013.

1. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    My G5 seems to have all the features (minus looks and build quality and weather sealing LOL) but here's one I can't find to activate:

Playback auto-rotate of images!

My Olys do this: take a photo in portrait orientation.

Go to Play/View mode: the photo is ALWAYS stuck showing in portrait only if you hold the camera in landscape orientation! How dumb! So if you take a series of portrait shots and want to check composition, you have to rotate the camera to view the shot, then rotate it back to compose again.

It also makes horrible use of screen real estate.

What gives? Is there a way to auto rotate images to view them properly in camera?

2. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Yes, you can find it in the manual

3. sac

sac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Steven
    Setup Menu, Rotate Display - ON

4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nope, I'm talking about when you playback, you can rotate the camera and the image orientation stays the same, so it looks right, just the way you took the picture.

5. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Like I said, RTFM!

page 75 of the manual (pdf version):

select [ROTATE DISP] on the [PLAYBACK] mode menu, this is how all Pannys work.

6. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    Not sure if this is what you are asking but....here goes.

First of all, the camera doesn't use a gyroscope to determine how you are holding the camera during playback. The auto rotate function does not cause the playback orientation to change as you are rotating the camera.

There are two options for playback - rotate display on and rotate display off. If rotate display is on, the image will be shown during playback with the top of the image at the top of the display in landscape mode. The image is rotated from the original orientation (if you shot in portrait orientation). Interestingly this works no matter which end was up in the portrait orientation, but it does not auto rotate if you held the camera upside down in landscape orientation. The display orientation does not change as you are rotating the camera.

If rotate is off, the images is displayed in playback in the same orientation that is was shot.

7. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks all, and yes, I understand how the rotate works.

My Olys, E-PM2 and even the E-620 I had, rotates the images as you rotate the camera in playback mode, that's what I miss...

8. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    But if you switch [ROTATE DISP] OFF then you have portrait as portrait and landscape as landscape on your display, so what is your point other than it works slightly different as the Oly cameras? :confused: