1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 and EPL5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by caimi, Mar 1, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I know on paper, the EPL5 has a better sensor, produces better high iso images, has a better DR than G5, blah, blah, blah. But I don't shoot on paper.

Now there are some niggling things that I don't like, have never liked, about the PEN cameras:

1. No built in viewfinder. I simply hate the clip on viewfinder that Olympus offers. No matter how good it is, I hate it. There, I've said it. And while I'm at it, I do not like composing pictures by looking at the back of the camera either. If I want to do that I'll trade it all and take pictures with my telephone.

2. No fully articulating rear screen. I use the rear screen very little and I loved how, on my GH2, it simply turned around as if it was not even there. With the EPL5 I have to always be mindful it is there. I don't want to be afraid of breaking a part of the camera I don't even use!

The G5 has both but would I be as happy with the images it produces as I am with those produced with the EPL5?

For those of you who have both or have shot both, help a brother out. If I trade the EPL5 for a G5, will my life be pure bliss?

2. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    G5 or E-pl5?

Maybe i'm not that good...but i have just kinda realised from looking back over my pics (pure amateur!)that any of the kind of shots i take...just family / friends /days out ...yara yara yara.
    I am not seeing a lot of differance...since upgrading to rolls royce (e-m5)
    granted i havent shot a lot with it and only using 14-150 and 20mm (which i love!)..house move / flu / xmas always something more pressing!
    so for me jury is still out...maybe sell it and go back to GX1 and spend differance in better optics!! GX1 still my fav cam.

depends what you want?
    i still have GF1 and gf2 pics that blew my pentax k5 and any nikon i owned away!!

regards
    Scott.

• Like Like x 1
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The difference between the EPL5 and G5 IQ are minor.
    Both will give you great photos, the G5 as you said is a much better camera in term of ergonomics and features. You won't regret if you trade into a G5.
    You can see some G5 pictures in my flicker stream and the flicker G5 group:
    Flickr: Flickr Panasonic DMC-G5.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've been really, really pleased with my E-PL5. OTOH, I picked up a cheap G3 body and it is nicer to hold in the hand. At the very least, the two bodies are certainly different enough to make ergonomics a serious issue. From what I've read, the IQ difference between the G5 and the EM5/EPL5/E-PM2 is pretty small and can be argued both ways, especially if you shoot RAW. In this case, body ergs and "indefinable" preferences between the two body styles should probably rule the day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Exactly. The way a camera feels and handles is hugely important, much more so than (mostly) theoretical differences in IQ.

• Like Like x 1
  6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Thanks all. I am convinced I need to switch to the G5. Who wants to trade?
    I am very, very happy with the EPL5 images and its compactness but ergonomically - what can I say, its a PEN. Either you like it or you don't and I don't.

elavon, great pictures! You've inspired my decision to switch to the G5.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Here's my opinion on this. There is a strange obsession over sensors in the photographic community. It's just one part of the overall camera system. There are other aspects of a camera that contribute to your ability to create beautiful photographs. How the camera handles, button placement, features like EVF and tilt screens and last but not least, the lens, all determine your shooting experience. Yet all I hear are talk about sensors.

Sensor differences with these new models are not very noticeable.

Handling differences are VERY noticeable.

The G5 is a great handling camera with great features and a great sensor. Pair it with a great lens and the rest is up to you.

p.s. I'm a G5 owner so I might be biased. :wink:

8. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    spatulaboy,

I agree with you completely. There is an over emphasis of sensors. And with these two cameras I suspect the sensors are fairly equal. I am mostly concerned with ergonomics here since I liked those on the GH2 and do not like those on the EPL5. But since I have no access to Panasonic cameras in my area, I wanted to know a little about image quality from current users. I think the image quality from the EPL5 is fantastic. I want to feel the same way about the G5 if I make swap..

9. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I hear you. I have one of the first E-PM2's, which stunned me with its IQ (moving from E-620). However, I never have felt a "bond" with it, mostly because I'm shooting at arm's length. So I bought VF-2 and VF-3, and couldn't stand having to clip it on, carry it around, etc. Sold both of them and my E-620 to raise funds for the G5, which is on its way.

This after fondling the OM-D which I think isn't that nice to hold, despite the fact I lusted after one for so long!

The G5 feels nice, and is close enuf in IQ (I hope) so that the E-PL5/E-PM2 + G5 would make an excellent combo. I've noticed a few others with this combo and I think they are all really happy to have 2 bodies.

Also played around a lot with the GH3 at CES, and for me, it's a big heavy and big.

E-PM2 + 14/2.5
    G5 for my 45-175 X, 30/2.8 Sigma, and adapted 14-54 II.

because I can't afford any more toys ;)

Do it! I'd say *add* the G5 to your collection, don't sell it!

10. Bamamike

Bamamike Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Koblenz, Germany
    I thought that I never will leave DSLRs, but with the E-PL5 and the VF2 it is easy to say goodbye, of course with the big grip:2thumbs:.
    I do not mind the locking feature of the VF3, you always have to take care of your equipment, quality goes first, so I prefer the EV2.
    Greetings,
    Mike

11. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I love my EPL-5 and with the VF2 it is perfect IMO I can flip it up for low angle shots I can turn it on or off and not have the annoying image flipping back and forth . I just leave it on the camera all the time and it has never fallen off also it makes the camera look distinctive, I have a lot of people asking me what kind of camera it is,I'm sure no one even looks twice at a SLR.There is a kid with a Nikon SLR in my photo class that wants a Pen I have him sold and after showing him how I can use legacy lenses he is really sold!
    The EPL-5 is much better than the EPL-1 I had before and I liked that one.
    I don't understand ergonomics the camera works well, it is lightweight I have a button programmed so I can shoot a HDR burst
    and the super control panel is great I always hold my camera by the lens so the small body isn't an issue at all.