1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 and a strange black bar...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Itchybiscuit, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Hi folks,

I was out and about today and managed to ruin quite a few images but I don't know why.

In portrait mode, the black bar is along the bottom of the image but it's still there - any ideas?
    RoadRepair.

This is the RAW image file sans tweaks. Hope someone can help.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Looks like it's gotta be something in front of the sensor/lens. Since you say it's in the same place regardless of orientation, that rules the camera strap out, or something similar dangling in front of the lens... Have you taken the lens off and inspected the sensor and lens elements?
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

• Like Like x 1
  3. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Aye, first thing I did when these showed up in LR was to check for anything untoward but both lens and sensor are clear. I took a couple of quick snaps with a fully charged battery and another card of the same make and speed (a Transcend 600x 16gb). They were clear of defects. I just wondered if it was a known problem and if I could expect it to crop up in future images. It really is a bit rough when you get home and find that almost half of the shots I captured are useless. Sad face.

4. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Lens hood? I had the supplied 14-42mm kit lens attached with the supplied lens hood fitted. It may even have been reversed on the lens.

If I gave the lens hood a slight bump and dislodged it from the bayonet groove at one side, would the resultant 'shadow' occur? I'm thinking the lens hood has come away from the side of the lens and is sitting slightly askew allowing light to hit the sensor on either side. That's my best guess at this point - am I perhaps way off base?

5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Very weird. Since it looks out of focus it really doesn't seem like an in-sensor issue.
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Can you take some exposures with the lens off? If it's still there then it can't be a lens problem. Then try some long exposure with the lens off, maybe it's shutter curtain related?

• Like Like x 1
  7. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Good idea!
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

8. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

That was my first thought, I've seen similar images back in the film days when the shutter was having problems. But there are SO MANY options with shutters any more, I don't know if my old tech knowledge still has any validity.

9. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I did so and no issues. The black bar seems to have disappeared whether I shoot with or without a lens. I was still holding out for a possible explanation but so far we've managed to rule out anything 'mechanical' on either the lens or camera. That's good news right there. I'll have to keep a weather eye out for a recurrence and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Thanks guys, appreciate your input. :thumbup:

10. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Isn't there a plastic (or graphite?) frame around the sensor behind the shutter. It's possible that frame has come loose and something is causing it to slide around a bit - enough so one edge protrudes in front of the sensor in some circumstances?

• Like Like x 1