1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 and 4/3 adapted 14-54 II

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by svtquattro, Feb 24, 2013.

1. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Went to the local camera store today to try a G5. They pulled one fresh out of the box, I slapped my 14-54 II on it with Lumix 4/3 adapter.

G5 said "No lens attached or set Custom function to shoot with no lens". HUH? Tried re-mounting it again, wiggling the connections, etc, same thing.

Tried my same adapter/lens combo on an OM-D and GH3 in the same store, no problems. What gives? Does the G5 need a firmware update or something?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Just tried it on my GX1 and it worked fine. Maybe the adapter gave it up or camera is faulty.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Weird.

4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Makes me hestitate to buy a G5 online...anyone using a Lumix DMW-MA1 with 14-54 II?

The G5 feels really good in the hand and the grip is nice, although the camera is still small and light. I'd say the OM-D EVF is better than both the GH3 and G5, however. If you move your eyeglass wearing eyes away from the eyepiece on the Pannys, you get weird distortion if you try to peer through the finder. Didn't seem to get this on the OM-D. The OM-D also seemed brighter...but this could be me...

5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I don't think it's design specific. Like I said, works fine on my GX1 with the panny adapter.

6. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    did you select "shoot without lens" on the menu?

• Like Like x 1
  7. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    No I didn't. The Panny menus are confusing for a first time Panny shooter. Especially with a sales guy staring at me and a 2 year old "patiently" waiting for daddy.

8. WykopowyMaciej

WykopowyMaciej New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2013
    Hello.

Anyone discovered if G5 will work with 14-54 II?

Thank you!

9. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    Tried on my G6 and it works very well, af speed is a little bit faster than on the E-M5!

10. jhawk1000

jhawk1000 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    Kansas
    You have to set the G5's menu to allow it to shoot with the adapter. Need to set the custom function to shoot with no lens. That is a setting in the menu.