G5 and 14-140mm broken. I don't know where to get it fixed :X repair shop suggestions?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Youngjun, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    Hello everyone.

I have broken G5 and 14-140mm f/3.5, and I have no idea where to get it fixed, if it can be fixed. I bought both of them used on ebay, so no warranties.

While I was taking a long exposure photo on a tripod, an insect was flying in my direction. Naturally I swung my hand, and hit the camera. Before I was able to grab it, the tripod tipped over and there we go...

The only damage I notice on the body is the lcd is cracked. I can see only the top/right half of the screen with many dead cells (dark lines). I tried taking photos, and it seems to be working. I am not sure if there are other parts damaged.

The lens is another problem. The lens barrel and mount came apart. All three screes are still on, but it seems like the inner parts are made out of plastic which appears to be broken.
    11891546_10207176245384982_3047365341049876140_o.

If anyone knows a place that does Panasonic camera & lens repair... please let me know!
    I live far out from the city, and there are no local camera shops/stores around where I can walk in to ask for any guidance... (Well there is BestBuy, but I don't know that is a place worth trying...)

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    So you're in USA or Canada?

Try Precision Camera in USA.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Man, that's rough. I hope you can get them fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    Thank you so much, I just dropped them an email. Hopefully it can be fixed.

5. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    So... I got the used body for $150, and seems like it will cost around $200 for the LCD repair...?
    I think I will keep it as it is... and not check the LCD while taking videos...?
    tough choice.

Would you get a new one?

The main reason I got the Panasonic body was for video recordings... and without LCD usage, it would be very tough.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You might try a diy replacement screen off eBay. I did that with a GF3 once, it was pretty easy.

7. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    Hi

Thank you for the suggestion. I would've never thought about it.
    Can you elaborate more? I can't get to find the replacement parts.
    Was there any instruction/guide that you referred to while doing the work as well?

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I didn't have instructions, but it was pretty straightforward, although an eBay search didn't turn up any screen/digitizers for that camera. I didn't think about the fact that it's an articulating screen. I'll keep my eyes open though!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    I had been instructed by a relatively local camera shop to deal with the repairs directly with Panasonic Repair center.

After weeks of "inspection" at the Panasonic repair center, I was informed that there was nothing wrong with the camera & lens other than the problems I saw: LCD & broken mount.

Today I was given the repair cost:

For replacement of the mount part for 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6: $616.50 plus applicable tax.
    For replacement of LCD part for G5: $287.50 plus applicable tax.

I have replied to have them sent back to me because I don't need a repair that costs more than what they are worth for me.

I think this is absurd that this kind of A/S is offered by a big company like Panasonic.
    I'll be moving away from Panasonic systems all together.

I wonder if Olympus is the same...

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The camera repair seems pretty much in line with what I have seen elsewhere, $200-300 is pretty standard flat rate for camera repair. Labor in the U.S. is expensive and repair is more complicated than assembly.

The lens quote is about double what I would expect based on experience with Canon. I doubt it is truly just a mount swap at that price.

You may try finding a third party center to repair your lens, but the camera was never going to be worth repairing due to its age. Even at half that quote price.

11. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia

Ouch.

The $287.50 quote is what I had to pay for my GX7's replacement LCD after a drop to a prison's cement floor, and I have suspicions that's a flat repair rate for any issue with the camera.

Sounds like they are just replacing the lens rather than repairing.

12. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    I decided to use the camera as-is, for I had been using it like that for about a month.
    The tilting LCD was for video recording convenience. I guess I lose that.

Do you know who does lens repairs? I am relatively new to camera world, and have no knowledge/experience.

Oh I see. so they charge $287.50 flat for LCD repair job. I don't think replacing LCD would take longer than 30 min for technicians from seeing DIY videos on Youtube. I don't think that is a fair amount to charge, but they do what they do.

About the lens, I was told that they are fixing it, since they mentioned about "replacing the mount parts."

I just wanted to end this thread with what I experienced, and what I decided.

13. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    IMAG00703. IMAG00709. IMAG00710. IMAG00711. Found an ebay seller who sells Panasonic DMC-GF5 LCD+backlight, and was informed GF5/G5 LCDs are compatible.
    All I had to do was remove the backlight cap thing off the GF5 LCD I bought for $45, and it fitted perfectly on my G5.

Worked out nicely!

• Like Like x 3
  14. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Awesome news! Was there take-apart much work?

15. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    No, I just had to unscrew four small screws, and that was it.
    The electronic connection from the body to LCD was similar to what you see on laptop keyboards, flip and insert.

Just realized there was a touchpad attached to the LCD, which is a simple stick on.

• Like Like x 1
  16. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    Nice! Once anything like this (camera, computer, small appliance, etc) is out of warranty and expensive to replace you've got nothing to lose by trying to take it apart and fix it yourself. Well done.

jeff

• Agree Agree x 2