1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G5 adapted lens weight?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jason Stamper, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Jason Stamper

Jason Stamper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2014
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone knew how much lens weight the G5 can support. Some adapted lenses get pretty heavy, and I am nervous about a big telephoto hanging off my little G5. It does hold my 325g Canon FD 135mm just fine, but I am really nervous about the big Sears 60-300mm zoom. I could not find a specification anywhere. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

2. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
    UK
    Good question. You'd think the manual might have something to say, but I can't see anything in the G3 manual. However, in the section about the shoulder strap it says:

This implies that the mount can take lens of at least 1 kg.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jason Stamper

Jason Stamper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2014
    Wow, I did not see that! Well most of the lenses I have are no where near that! My 135 FD is 325g. Not sure about the sears 60-300. 1kg means it should be good for most anything I'd get. Thanks a lot!

4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Even if you're using a large and heavy lens, unless you're mounting on a tripod I would think you should be fine as most likely you're going to be supporting the combination by the lens rather than the body for balance (at least that's how i've always done it).

• Like Like x 1
  5. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
    UK
    No problem, that info is for the G3, but I guess it's similar for the G5, see if it says anything in your manual. I think the Sears 60-300 is less than 900g.

As ean10775 says, you're likely to be supporting the lens anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    My 'Bokina' 90/2.5 weighs a pound and a half and my G5 copes with no problems - when it's on a sling strap I tend to have it hanging by my right side so I simply hold the barrel of the lens so the mount is only really suffering the weight of the camera. Mind you, if I just leave it hanging while using my G2 back-up, it's perfectly fine. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    +1 to the above. I always carry the camera by the lens. When shooting, always support the lens with the left hand ie the two hands are not both on the camera body.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    my opinion is that with longer lenses (and I pick 100mm as my arbitrary point) its better to mount the lens on the tripod, not the camera (even back when I was using 35mm)

In this blog post I show an FD adapter which seems to do the right things for me.

It supports the lens

nuAdaptor+lens.

and the camera attaches on to the back of the adapter so thus only takes its own body weight

nuAdaptor+lens+camera.

This adapter is a cheapie, and has some issues (which I mention) but if you happen to be serious about it, then my personal favorite FD adapter maker (Ciecio7 on eBay) makes a great FD one which does same thing and is much more robust.

(link to his auction of that http://www.ebay.com/itm/261442483522)

FDadaptersupport2_zps77b9f6d0.

• Like Like x 1