1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 'workflow' with adapted (MF) lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Einari, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Einari

Einari New to Mu-43

Oct 31, 2011
    Finland
    While waiting for my G3 to make it here (latest tracking info: "Departed Facility in BRUSSELS - BELGIUM" :smile:) I have skimmed trough the User Guide, this forum and the Internet in general to figure out how I might use my M42 Helios 44M and/or a bunch of K-mount lenses with the El-Cheapo adapter(s) I got/have coming from Ebay. One thing I have been wondering about has been using MF assist / magnification. Apparently this can be set to automatically kick in when the (simulated) focus ring of a native lens is moved. With an adapted lens I suppose I would need to activate this manually as needed. It would seem that this is done by pressing the switch integrated to the dial, right?

In general, what mode, AE settings, etc. / general procedure ('workflow') do you use/ prefer / find convenient with your adapted MF and the G3?

(I tried to look for pre-existing thread on the subject w. the G3 but didn't manage to find one which probably just means I can't use the site search in a clever enough fashion :confused:).

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You're getting ahead of yourself, and just making yourself anxious. Wait until you have the camera, lens, and adapter all in. Everything will work itself out, don't worry. Go outside, take a walk. Hasn't anyone ever told you, "A watched pot never boils?" Once you've gone on a photoshoot or two, if you're still confused, have questions, or have images that aren't coming out to your liking, come back and resurrect this thread.

3. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I would recommend the use of top of the line adapters, such as voigtlander, panasonic and olympus. The cheapo adapters (along with often stiff MF lens) have lot's of slop, and are prone to galling.. and the slop will present when you focus wide open and miss lots of shots. Very similar to firearms, slop equals misses.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm not so sure about this (though admittedly I don't own any of those high end adapters). If you can get 95-99% of the performance for 10% of the cost, that seems like a good value to me.

Strikes me as silly to spend a lot on an adapter when most of the legacy lenses that people use are not necessarily high end pieces. So sure if you got leicas, go ahead and splurge on an adapter..but if it's a 50-100$ lens, why spend more on a simple piece of machined metal to hold it..

5. Einari

Einari New to Mu-43

Oct 31, 2011
    Finland
    Hee, hee ... I'm merely trying to wring every drop of exitement I can from it ("Arrived at Sort Facility TURKU - FINLAND" :smile:). Seriously, though, I was thinking along the lines of there being more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak, some of which might not be obvious to me :smile:.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I am sure of it. Definitely spend your money on a good adapter, like Voigtlander or Kipon. The adapter will feel like a factory fit when you mount the adapter to the camera, and the lens to the adapter. I have a cheap OM adapter, and it is a very tight fit getting lenses on; I'm sure that it causes unnecessary brassing on the lens mount. The problem is, it's a crapshoot. The cheap have such non-precise manufacturing tolerances that some will be just perfect, some too tight, and some too loose. If they're too loose, as it's been said, you get missed focus because of the play in the adapter. Plus, this means that they all over-focus, meaning that they allow focus past infinity. Those cheapos are often a lot less than 99% of the performance, and it's more than 10% of the cost.

There's nothing to it. Just enable "shooting without lens" in the menu. Put the lens on the camera, and focus, using the magnification feature if you really want ultra-precise focus. Now seriously, stop working yourself up and don't worry about all of this. Wait until you get your equipment, because you're fretting over nothing. Go play outside or something.

7. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I have a different mindset- if you spend $800 and $150 for a good, fast Legacy Lens- then don't ruin it with a sloppy, poorly fitted adapter.

If you *must* go cheap- Fotodiox probably is the best of the cheap breed.

When I manually focus- I don't want the lens to be clunking both ways, and then galling away due to the different metal surface types (chromium -v- soft cast aluminum).

See Brinell hardness scale regarding surface materials..

Brinell scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I have a Novoflex adaptor which I bought to use with my Minolta MD range of lenses. It's superb - it will probably outlast me, let alone the rest of the equipment. The G3 has a v easy-to-use focus magnifier, which you can set to just magnify the area you wish to focus (central by default). The EVF makes a world of difference compared to my old GF1. Other than that I generally leave it on aperture priority, choice of tweaked Monochrome or Vivid JPEGs and I'm very happy with the results!
    However, strangely enough some legacy lenses seem to work better than others on ยต4/3 - for instance I used to have the Minolta 85mm f1.7, which I adored on film, but when I switched to digital I found that my (rather cheaper) Jupiter 85mm f2 gave better results. You'll just have to experiment... :smile:

9. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Doubt that I can add anything useful to what's already been said - but here's my experience....
    I bought a couple of cheapo adapters for use with my G3 - one for my old Minolta AF lenses, the other for my even older Pentax K mount lenses. The latter setup is straightforward enough, being a manual lens you just make all settings rotating the rings on the lens barrel as you did way back when. As mentioned the magnification feature is a great help here.
    With the AF lenses, of course no settings can be made from the lens barrel, and fortunately the adapter (at least the one I have) enables aperture changes to be made. The thing is there are no detailed markings just 'Lock" and "Open" - the latter equates to a wide open aperture on the attached lens. By trial and error and I can judge from the clicks, an approximation of where I've set the aperture between wide open and stopped right down, on the attached lens.
    In my experience it's not super precise but by trial and error you can get there, with some nice results thanks to the very tight depth of field.
    Reviews I read somewhere gave high praise to the Novoflex mentioned above. However to my mind it's somewhat expensive and someone else I read somewhere suggested that once you get away from the budget adapters, you might be as well to consider one of the lenses specifically made for the m4/3 system, which gives you the benefit of AF etc. I think I go along with that, unless of course the lenses you want to make use of, are high-end from Leica or the like.

10. I had a few problems with some adapters being too loose when I bought them. I fixed them up with a watchmaker's screwdriver almost a year ago and haven't had a problem with fitting since despite frequent use.

https://www.mu-43.com/f40/problems-loose-lens-adapters-8779/

I'm extremely glad that I saved my money to spend on better things.

11. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I don't personally have the time *or* patience to ghetto-rig adapters.. and I don't know when my last tetanus shot was because I will invariably stab myself with the teenie-tiny screwdriver.

I'll pay the premium.

• Like Like x 1